Fuel Cock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cock

I just picked up an '81 GS850L and the fuel cock position is stuck on "reserve". Or is that the way it is supposed to be because there is a gas gauge?

I think I've read some emails on this site that the fuel cock (the vacuum) is prone to failure. Any suggestions?

Thanks and this is a great site!
    Don

Re: Fuel ####

Originally posted by dr_ae2001
    I just picked up an '81 GS850L and the fuel #### position is stuck on "reserve". Or is that the way it is supposed to be because there is a gas gauge?

I think I've read some emails on this site that the fuel #### (the vacuum) is prone to failure. Any suggestions?

Thanks and this is a great site!
    Don
    I do not think it should be on reserve........It should be straight down......These stock units seem to be prone to failure after so many years and many folks have had good luck with the pingel Petcock.....As I have.....

Comment

Normal operation on your bike (same as mine) is to have it pointed down while running.

Comment

Down while running.

I still run the original on my 78 GS1000. Take the tap apart and give it a careful clean, should be as good as new. It may have just been left in that position and rusted up. be careful not to break the diaphram inside the tap and take care with the rubber o ring thing.

Comment

Go down to your local Suzuki shop and order all new gaskets for it and then clean it out. I am in the process of doing the same. The gaskets only set me back about $12 including tax, which is less than a rebuilt kit and it has the same parts in it. I did price what a new Genuine GS petcock would only be $72 I have found that in some cases it was cheaper going to my local shop than getting things on Ebay.
          JD

Comment

I rebuilt my '78 GS 750 petcock with an aftermarket kit from TourMax. Cost me $42.95CDN(aprox. $25.00 US). It's a little stiff, but doesn't leak like a sieve anymore. 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I replaced my OEM fuel value with a pingel valve and pinched off the vacuum line and it works alot better. The OEM valve corroded out. The only thing you have to worry about is that when you shut down and park. If you leave the valve open and your floats are not shutting the fuel off when the bowls are full it will leak. Just a little hint it happened to me.

Comment

Since it appears to be stuck on prime,,,,but may otherwise be OK, why not try spraying it with WD40 or a similar product, and see if it will turn.

Mine is difficult to turn and sticks at every position, but internally it works fine. Most of the time it's on reserve, because I can't turn the handle while driving.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                X