Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

I finally got plates for the GS this morning. Took the bike out for the first ride of the year today, and boy it was ugly. Once i got it on the road, if I let off the throttle at all, Stall. It would start back up right away but would always stall if i let off the throttle. It started to get better justed before i got to school. On my way home after a 60 min stop. Warming up with the choke on full it would die w/o throttle. I had to ride home with the choke on full. When starting from some lights throttle would do nothing then jerk on and i would sputter away.
    The gas that's in the tank was stabilized in Nov. I just changed the oil. but not the filter.
    I'm going to change the filter today.
    Is this the carbs telling me they need cleaning or something else???

I used to have that problem. Then I adjusted the idle screw on the carbs and it was OK. You may also be able to adjust the throttle cable, that should help too.

Comment

Adjust the idle speed and see if that works, the other place you could check is the throttle cable as it may need replacing or adjusting.
      If that doesn't work clean your carbs.

Comment

If it was running fine before storage I would put fresh gas in and mix some carb cleaner with it. Run the bike for 1/2- 1 hour If it still will not run good you will have to clean the carbs. I have heard many people on the MC boards complaining that even though they put stable in there gas the carbs were still gumed up

Comment

Carb cleaner will destroy "O" rings and rubber parts. Fuel injector cleaner is a better choice to mix into the gas.

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          If it was running fine before storage I would put fresh gas in and mix some carb cleaner with it. Run the bike for 1/2- 1 hour If it still will not run good you will have to clean the carbs. I have heard many people on the MC boards complaining that even though they put stable in there gas the carbs were still gumed up
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            Carb cleaner will destroy "O" rings and rubber parts. Fuel injector cleaner is a better choice to mix into the gas.

Earl
            Thx, I did not know that and have been using it. No better time than now to stop!

Fuel injector cleaner it is from now on!

Comment

Tried to start her up today and nothing. wouldn't kick over. Choke was all the way out, but still nothing happened.
              I tried tightening the idle screw but i don't think that helps unless the engine is running.
              Help??

Comment

Put back idle screw to where it was and try spraying Starting Fluid into the Air Intake. That may give it enough to turn over. Check gas line to make sure Gas is getting to the carbs and not stuck in the petcock. I wonce found it very dicfficult to start my CX605 with no gas in the tank.
                I also found that if my battery is just a little tired my 1100 just doesn't want to turn over, so sometimes I give it a jump and it starts right up.
                Good luck.

Comment

ya' may want to be careful with the starting fluid, as it wipes the oil off the cylinder walls and, used to excess, can cause expensive problems...although, I know how frustrating it is to not be able to fire the darned thing up...

Comment

Working...
                  X