removing old dowel pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing old dowel pins

Anyone know the "best " way to remove a seized dowel pin from the engine case without causing excess damage. I'm thinking lots of penetrating fluid and maybe an easy out, but the replies to the earlier "broken bolt removal" post have left me cautious about easy-outs.

If it is one of the hollow pins then you can take a 2x4 and hold it flat against it and smack it onto the pin with a hammer allowing the pin to embed itself into the wood. Try not to wiggle the board around after you have the pin in it snuggly and then turn the board so as to twist loose the pin. Do this after you soak it good with penetrator but be sure to clean the penetrator off good before putting the board on it so the wood gets a good bite onto the pin.

I have done this before and it works well with no damage to anything. But I would think it would only work on hollow pins. Solid pins it may but I have never done that.

Comment

I would heat it up good with a propane torch.

Comment

Thanks. The 2x4 method made me feel I was embedding the pin more as I hit against it. After a good soaking (24 hr) with penetrating oil, a careful attempt with an easy out did the trick. Now for some clutch reassembly and riding. Thanks again for the input.

82 GS 1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by mushman
          Thanks. The 2x4 method made me feel I was embedding the pin more as I hit against it. After a good soaking (24 hr) with penetrating oil, a careful attempt with an easy out did the trick. Now for some clutch reassembly and riding. Thanks again for the input.

82 GS 1100EZ
          You wouldn't have embedded it any further as it is most likely already the whole way in. There isn't to much room for travel left in the hole it goes into. I assure you it works well on hollow pins It's how I have always removed stuck pins. I prefer it to the easy out as it is doesn't leave and marks, scratches or misshape the pin at all.

Comment

Thanks again. I will use the 2x4 method in the future. I'd already had replacement (new) pins ready since the old stuck ones were badly corroded. And you're correct. The easy out did split the old pins, and that method should only be used when new replacement pins are to be used.

Comment

Working...
            X