Regulator Honda vs. Electrex - Stator New vs. Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator Honda vs. Electrex - Stator New vs. Used

I have an 85 GS400E with 19K (2K on the rebuilt engine). The stator died last summer and I'm just getting around to replacing it.

After some research (thanks to Gsresources!) I'm looking at the electrex stator and R/R. The local cycle salvage place (Ontario Cycle Salvage, Toronto) recommended using a honda R/R and a used stator. Obviously this will be a bit cheaper than the new electrex parts.. but I'm looking for advice and or opinions. I'm new to the GS electrical problems, but my understanding is that the original R/R is more problematic than the stator.

So my questions are
    1) Should I be aware of anything when using a honda R/R?
    2) What about a used stator, any caveats?

-Joe

The 400 will do just fine with the honda part. I don't know too much about the used stator though. If that's the Cycle Salvage on Kingston they are EXPENSIVE! I got a used ingnitor for half their price by getting one from Brandon, Manitoba. Shop around for the best used parts dealer. www.motorbiketoronto.com may be an idea...if I spelt it correctly.

Steve

Comment

I would go ahead an make sure that your original stator is OK before spending the money on a new or used stator. They aren't very hard to test, and there's only 3 wires. Just make sure the wires are in good shape and that none of them are grounding out.

What honda R/R are they recommending? VFR regulators are notorious for sucking, I know this from personal experience. Not sure about any others though, they should be fine.

Comment

New vs Used stator

Hi to all;
        On the subject of stators, have you thought of rewinding the one you have? The stator on my 78 1000 was shot when I got the bike and they wanted $200 for a rewound one here in Calgary. After the shock of that, I took a close look at mine and thought how hard can it be to rewind one. It was really easy. I removed the old wire counting the turn's and also made a drawing of the layout of the conections. On some of the post's that the wire is wound on, the coating was chiped off. I wrapped Teflon plumbers tape on them. Teflon tape has very high electrical resistance and won't break down with normal engine heat or from the oil. Buying 16 guage wire by the pound from a electric motor rebuilding place, cost me $12 and that amount will rewind the stator 4+ time's. Three dollar's worth of wire, an hour to rewind, solder the end's and I used Plastic Dipp to seal the wrap's and it's done. I've now put 17,000 km's on it and it still work's perfect, it's that simple. Save's alot of cash for other stuff to!
        Keith

Comment

The Honda reg to use is the 1978-82? CB/CL/? from a 450-750 model should be able to get one from ebay for $15-20 Don't buy a used Suzuki reg. Used stator should be ok if you need one, I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it.

Comment

Small note re Honda R/R.

Suzuki units have five wires, but Honda units have an extra wire which has to be tied into the bike's electrical system in a live circuit. (I have used the taillight)
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
              Small note re Honda R/R.

Suzuki units have five wires, but Honda units have an extra wire which has to be tied into the bike's electrical system in a live circuit. (I have used the taillight)

Ron, I've been running them with the extra wire unconnected (1 of them for 9 yrs., I was told that was OK by the guy at the wrecker).....do you know why it needs to be energized? Mine still seems to work fine.(82-1100 EZ)

Comment

Dave: My 1100's spare wire is just dangling too. When I bought the bike it had a dead battery so I asked them if the bike was charging, their response was they had the same question so had checked it and it turned out it was okay.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                  Dave: My 1100's spare wire is just dangling too. When I bought the bike it had a dead battery so I asked them if the bike was charging, their response was they had the same question so had checked it and it turned out it was okay.

Steve
                  Thanks Steve, that makes me feel better ...didn't feel like pulling the gas tank and airbox again....but then again, there's charging and there's over-charging, I have solid core ignition wires that wreak havoc on my digital multimeter...my simpson analog is on the fritz...so getting an exact voltage reading is problematic....perhaps Ron can shed some light also?

Comment

Re. replacing Suzuki OEM regulator and rectifier with a Honda unit or an Electrex unit, would these allow the use of additional accessories (ie. driving lamps, and/or an electric vest) without overtaxing the Suzuki's charging system, or is the Suzuki system limited to what is already aboard regardless of the regulator/rectifier used?
                    Thanks in advance

Cdn George
                    Edmonton, Alberta

Comment

The amount of power available is limited by the stator output and the rectifier/regulator. The stator outputs aprox 280 watts. If you install a regulator/rectifier capable of handling 1000 watts, it will make no difference.
                      Its like water. If you have a gallon of water, the size of the cup you use to drink it with doesnt change the fact that you have 1 gallon of water. The rectifier/regulator is only the size of the cup you are using.

So the answer is NO, you cannot add aux lights, vest, stereo system, dvd player, air conditioning and a hot water heater and jacuzzi. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by cdngeorge
                      Re. replacing Suzuki OEM regulator and rectifier with a Honda unit or an Electrex unit, would these allow the use of additional accessories (ie. driving lamps, and/or an electric vest) without overtaxing the Suzuki's charging system, or is the Suzuki system limited to what is already aboard regardless of the regulator/rectifier used?
                      Thanks in advance

Cdn George
                      Edmonton, Alberta
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

George: You'll need to pick and choose what you want to add. I run an 80W/100W headlight and a 30W vest during the winter with no troubles over 2 years. If it turns out that I need to replace them RR and stator every 3 years because of my actions against them I would be okay with it but I wouldn't try to add running lights on top of what I've got. The headlight is 40W above a regular bulb and the vest is an extra 30W. I don't think you'd get much from a pair of 70W total running lights unless it is some sort of low draw high output system.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
                          Originally posted by argonsagas
                          Small note re Honda R/R.

Ron, I've been running them with the extra wire unconnected (1 of them for 9 yrs., I was told that was OK by the guy at the wrecker).....do you know why it needs to be energized? Mine still seems to work fine.(82-1100 EZ)
                          As you have noticed, the R/ R can work without connection of the additional wire.

I think the nicest way to describe its purpose is "insurance".

The extra wire acts as a bleed, to accommodate any power surge, as anything extra would get fed directly into an in-use circuit. While it does not carry the duty of providing the main charge to the battery, the extra wire can help to maintain a balanced load, and the effective shunt means a bit less heat build-up in the R/R, so the R/R should last longer.

Ron.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Comment

Steve and Earl; thanks for the info.
                            Two follow up points:
                            1. How can I determine how muich of that 280 watts the stator is generating is being used in the OEM system (headlight, taillight, usual running lights) and therefore how much "excess" is available? Is it just a mathematical exercise of adding up the current system components?
                            I am adding a hard luggage case to the rear of the bike with an auxillary tail light and turn signals (all LED lights), and I would guess that the addition of these lights should not overtax the system.
                            I am considering adding a couple of PIAA driving lamps and a socket for a heated vest.

2. Larger bikes, particularly touring bikes, must have stators that output more energy than my GS650 - as per the original question on ths thread, would a Honda CB/CL stator (a) physically fit in a GS system; and (b) put out more power to be safely handled by a matching r/r unit?

I have no intention of adding heated seats, grips, vest, CD, CB, jacuzzi, etc., but I would like to add the components noted without overtaxing the capacity of the bike.

Thanks again.
                            Cdn George
                            Edmonton Alberta Canada

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I was planning on purchasing a used stator ($110) and used R/R ($100) from Ontario Cycle Salvage (kingston rd). I did try www.motorbiketoronto.com (aka T.O. Cycle on lakeshore) and they didn't have any used parts in stock, but quoted similar prices for used parts and (approx 50% of the cost of the new part).

If anyone knows of any less expensive places to obtain these parts please let me know. My bike is currently stored in Hamilton, but I live in Toronto.

cheers,

-Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X