No announcement yet.

Regulator Honda vs. Electrex - Stator New vs. Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get them on ebay frequently. No warranty of the parts working though. You could call Woody's in Perth, I hear he has a good selection. B&R Cycles in Kingston too? Most of the places do the typical 50% of new but you may get lucky. It's kind of silly for them to charge that much for parts that have been in a box so long that they've had all their paint knocked off from people shuffling through the box.

http://www.motorcycle-exchange.net had a couple of GS400s a few years ago. Depending on the weather out there he may check to see if the parts are still on the bike right away. Once when I called them the owner told me he didn't want to go outside and dig the bike out of the snow so he'd have to call me back. He sold me an ignitor and a new pair of saddle bags for the price everybody else wanted just for the ignitor. There's no provincial tax on out of province purchases so you'll break even on the cost of posting it to you.

Steve

ps. George, you have to add up all of the wattage for your lights plus the ignition to see what you're pulling. Basically, if bike isn't charging at highway speed you've got too much plugged in. You're list seems like a lot though, My GS1100 has a 10 amp auxiliary fuse. That makes me think they only want you to add 10 amps of equipment. That's about 120 watts.

Comment

You can actually FIND a used stator? Around here they're as rare as hen's teeth! I bought one from MCD. I don't really remember what I paid, as that was part of the deal when I bought the bike. I also bought a reg/rec from MCD made for a Honda 400, which fit my 1100 like was made to go there. Bolt holes lined up and everything! I believe it was about 1/2 the price of the one for the Suzuki from MCD.

I put a used reg/rec from a Honda 400 on my 750 YEARS ago and have had no problems. It to, bolted on. Fits underneath the battery box. Not the best place in the world for an electrical component, but the pretapped holes were there which lined up perfectly.
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
        Originally posted by daveo
        Originally posted by argonsagas
        Small note re Honda R/R.

Suzuki units have five wires, but Honda units have an extra wire which has to be tied into the bike's electrical system in a live circuit. (I have used the taillight)

Ron, I've been running them with the extra wire unconnected (1 of them for 9 yrs., I was told that was OK by the guy at the wrecker).....do you know why it needs to be energized? Mine still seems to work fine.(82-1100 EZ)
        As you have noticed, the R/ R can work without connection of the additional wire.

I think the nicest way to describe its purpose is "insurance".

The extra wire acts as a bleed, to accommodate any power surge, as anything extra would get fed directly into an in-use circuit. While it does not carry the duty of providing the main charge to the battery, the extra wire can help to maintain a balanced load, and the effective shunt means a bit less heat build-up in the R/R, so the R/R should last longer.

Ron.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
        I'm confused. Is the above post from Ron or from Daveo?
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Well, I got my 1100 out of the house the other day and it's over charging. In fact, I blew my ignition switch or something very close to it because of the voltage. So, if I connect that extra wire will the voltage be more controlled? I'm got 16 volts before I stopped revving so it may go higher...

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Just a quick question, but what R/R should I use on a 78 GS550??? Right now both the reg and rect. on my bike are shot. The stator was rewound 5000miles ago so it's still ok.

Comment

Working...
            X