Carb/fuel system cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb/fuel system cleaner

When I first went to the dealership to look at my '78 GS750E, it started fine, but would stall in a short time. When I went back to test ride it, after they had cleaned the carbs and changed plugs and points (or at least say they did), it seemed to run fine. The ride home (90 miles) was relatively uneventful, except that idle is high (2000 rpm) after the bike is warm. Now that I've had a chance to ride it a few more times, I find it sometimes starts OK; other times it's pretty finicky. High hot idle remains; otherwise the bike seems fine on the road. One possible conclusion: the dealership did a less than thorough job on the carbs, and I need to do it all over, with more care. Also, I have added some carb/fuel system cleaner to the tankful that I've run through it so far, and again at the fill-up. Maybe it's working to the point that gunk it's loosening is clogging idle jets? Being naturally lazy, I'd like to avoid doing the carb work, if possible. Has anyone had notably good or bad experiences with carb/fuel system cleaners? Is there one product that stands out, or have you found them to be ineffective, or cause more problems than they cure, etc?

Any good news, or am I gonna be taking apart 4 carbs?

Thanks!

Be sure not to use any fuel cleaners if your tank has been kreemed. I have been told it can have a bad reaction with the coating and can gum the carbs up worse. Has anybody else heard the same? I also feel that carb cleaners are only temporary and nothing beats a carb rebuild. If you think the carbs are at fault, tear them down, It'll be worth it.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

STOP!

Dont use any more carb/fuel system cleaner. It's not good for your rubber O rings. If you want to use something use Fuel Injection cleaner. Most carb cleaners will eat at your O rings while fuel injection system cleaners wont.

Comment

OK, I was identifying it generically. What I'm currently using is Gumout Fuel Injector /Carburetor Cleaner. :?

Comment

Yeah, best not to use any thing but good 'ol petrol. If you think about it, an engine is designed to run only one mixture of fuel.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I would suggest a carb rebuild and tune/balance it afterwords. The dealer could have sprayed it with engine cleaner, buffed to a high gloss and then told you that the carbs "had been cleaned". I occasionally use a fuel injector/carb cleaner. Plus, running a in-line filter is always a good idea.

Comment

Working...
            X