New to me for Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me for Free

Hi there I just was given a 82 gs300l the last time it was started the guy said it started right up and ran fine. However it sat for at least five years no it won't start. What do I do? It has compression when it turns over but no spark I have been told it is probly the coils how do I check that. And what do I look for in after market what kind of specs? Please help I want to lern how to ride my new toy after I learn how to fix it. Thanx

Re: New to me for Free

Originally posted by GreenGiant
    Hi there I just was given a 82 gs300l the last time it was started the guy said it started right up and ran fine. However it sat for at least five years no it won't start. What do I do? It has compression when it turns over but no spark I have been told it is probly the coils how do I check that. And what do I look for in after market what kind of specs? Please help I want to lern how to ride my new toy after I learn how to fix it. Thanx
    Hi Green!

Welcome to the forum -- you're gonna love this place! Great people with a wealth of knowledge.

Anyway, I'll start ... first of all, I'd be surprised if the problem was the coil or coils. First thing I'd check is the points (if your bike has points). After sitting for so long, I wouldn't be surprised if the points were corroded. If you have the owners manual or a service manual for the bike, you'll be able to easily determine proper point gap. If not, you may want to check the gap before you remove the points for cleaning or replacing. Then you'll at least have a ballpark figure to shoot for when you reinstall.

Now having said all that, maybe your bike has an electronic pickup instead of points. If so, the first thing I'd do (and I'd do this anyway) is to go through the entire electrical system and check/clean/tighten all the connections so that you know all the components are sending/receiving signal. There are also many existing threads that cover the various common problems of our bikes -- if you haven't already looked at them, give them a look-see. It's truly amazing how much info you will find here!

Good Luck! I'm sure other members who are more familiar with your bike will chime in as well with additional advice.

Regards,
    Steve 8)

Comment

Thank you

Yes it is a electric ignition and with a bulb tester the coils are getting power and just before the battery ran dead i saw that it had a signal to the coil to fire did't get a chance to test the other one before the battery went dead. coul this kind of coil work on my bike?

thanx

Comment

For a bike that has been sitting for five years there are several steps that need to be done in this order
        1. Clean the fuel tank
        2. Clean/ repair the petcock
        3 Clean the carbs and air filter
        4 Change oil, change brake fluid
        5. Clean the connections on the reg/rect, clean fuse connections
        6 Install a new battery
        7. Install a new spark plug
        At this point it should run

Comment

If it does turn out that you need coils check the post 650's for a 450

Comment

Working...
          X