Float Settings With Photos. Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Settings With Photos. Help!!!

Ok I am attempting to check the float level on a 1981 GS650L. I have a Clymer manual and it reads: Set float level between 21.4 -23.4mm
    AS you can see from my photos I am confused as to where to measure from. If go measure from on the lip as shown here I am at 24 or so mm.

If I measure inside the lip edge as shownbelow... here I am at 26 -27 mm.

The problem is, if the top image is correct, I had already bent the tab to make it close to the 24mm mark. I fear that I may be setting this very low. The symptoms are the engine goes flat at about 5000-6000 RPM. Idles great, throttle snaps great all the way upto 5-6k then falls flat on it's face. I have reason to believe it is the main circuit causing this problem. I have checked the o-rings, replaced the jets with brand new stock Suzuki jets, resealed the carb slides, checked and cleaned the choke circuit, checked and cleaned the pilot adjustment screws. Checked for air leaks, inspcted the sliders while the engine was running, all appear to be opening properly. I am stumped here. Carbs look great inside and out. I am running the bike with the air box off so I can access the carbs easily. Can this be a problem? Thanks in adance for any tips.
    Keith [img][/img]

Keith, the measurements you gave from the Clymer book are in millimeters. Your scale is in 32's of an inch. They are not even close. Don't know for sure if the 650 is the same as my 1100, but for my carbs, the scale must be set on the mating surface, not on the lip. In addition, turn the scale 90 degrees and measure across the floats in each carb to make sure the float assembly isn't twisted, resulting in one higher than the other. Start working with carbs 2 and 3 first. In this position, have the scale resting on the flat part of the mating surface, not the rib that runs around the mating surface.

Good luck.

Comment

Hello McFly!!!

Man do I feel like an idiot! I thought one side of the ruler was standard and the other was metric! Doah! I shake my head in disgust.

Comment

have the scale resting on the flat part of the mating surface, not the rib that runs around the mating surface.
        Cool, I never was clear on that one.

I'ts easy for me to see the odd numbers on the 32nds scale from my armchair, but I've pulled far sillier bloopers.

Comment

Keith, let us know how she runs after you make these adjustments.

Comment

As for the airbox, yes, running with it off will cause the bike to go extremely lean. put it back on before riding for the test runs. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            X