Seat and rear fender swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat and rear fender swap ?

I have a 1980 GS750L. I like the bike but not the seat/fender. I was wondering if it is possible to swap it with another model. ie. would an "E" model (or other non"L") seat and tail section fit on my "L" model.

Thanks guys and gals,

Jamie

I've seen a few different seat configurations - surprisingly, I would have thought they'd be relatively standard. Looking at my two bikes, the 550L has two hooks on the right side that slide into the bike frame and the lock is on the left side. It is a stepped seat similar to the 750. Also, the helmet lock is part of the seat lock mechanism. The 750 has a flat seat, and attaches on the LEFT side with a hinge arrangement using a long aluminum rod that slides alternately through collars in the seat and frame. The lock is on the right side, and there is what appears to be a helmet 'clip' seperate from the seat lock mechanism, instead of the integrated affair. I've also seen seats on what look like early 80s models having the seat lock poking through the seat body (vinyl and all) at the BACK of the seat, pointing six o' clock. What is your configuration? I'm not sure wether these differences depend on size or model designation. If I had to guess though I'd say that the E and base model seats will interchange, but the L is its own thing. Funny, the seat and fender (and exhaust) are about the only things I like about the L models.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotblack
      I've also seen seats on what look like early 80s models having the seat lock poking through the seat body (vinyl and all) at the BACK of the seat, pointing six o' clock.
      Yep that would be the one. I can live with it. I just prefer the more "sporty" look of the other models.

Comment

Some of the bikes with rear consoles have the locking mechanism in the cowling behind the seat. My 400 doesn't have this but it isn't hinged either. I'm not a fan of the bikes without rear cowlings either, it makes me think of a banana seat on a bicycle.

Steve

Comment

Stick 'em up!

I looked over at the Bikebandit fiches and the E seat for that year looks very similar to the L seat, as in it might even share the stepped seat pan. 750E seat It doesn't have the back lock, but it has the Left side lock which appears to also be on the L seat (2 locks??) Instead of the back lock it looks like it uses a bolt on support. You might be in luck here, You ought to take a digi pic of the bottom of your seat pan and ask an '80 E owner to do the same. All the '80 seats look different from my '79s. Hey, if you go look at the L seats it looks like there was also a crazy Cheech & Chong seat with a tall built in padded back rest. Crazy! Go for the retro look..... :P[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X