Carb tuning mystery fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb tuning mystery fluid

I have a 1982 GS850GL and I am trying to tune the carbs with the mercury sticks from Dennis Kirk. While I had the tubes hooked up to the carbs and the engine was running at about 1700 rpm I could see some type of vapor in tube 1,2, and 4 but not in 3. As I was trying to adjust the carbs I noticed that about a 1/2 " of clear fluid was building up on top of the mercury in 1,2, and 4 in the manometer sticks. Does anyone know what the liquid would be (gas? water?) and how should I get the fluid out of the manometer? Thanks.

I had the same experience recently, although I also got the vapor/fluid in the tube for carb 3. I assume it is water vapor with petroleum contaminants.

Comment

What to do

How did you get the water out. I don't want it to keep building up every time I balance the carbs. Will it just evaporate out eventually? I don't like playing with mercury.

Comment

Re: What to do

Originally posted by DDienno
        How did you get the water out. I don't want it to keep building up every time I balance the carbs. Will it just evaporate out eventually? I don't like playing with mercury.
        It's water from condensation. It gets worse the longer you take to sinc'. With the vent on your tool open, carefully blow into each hose and watch the water go down into the mercury reservoir. If you are'nt done with your sinc', the water will get re-drawn at random each time you start up. This can make reading the levels a pain. The quickest way to make the water drop out is to quickly unhook each hose at the manifold adapter (while running) and quickly hook it back up until you see all or most of it fall out of each tube. Takes a few tries sometimes. When you're done with the tool, set it in a safe place with the vent open. In colder weather it can take several days for the water to evaporate from the reservoir.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X