Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is hole for under starter in 82 GS1100G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is hole for under starter in 82 GS1100G?

Under the starter is a hole about 1/2 inch in diameter. What is it for? Where does it lead? If fluids get in there, where do they go? If metal parts drop into the void will there be a problem? Shouldn't be any gearing because there is no oil or grease residue coming out. This is just ahead of the shaft drive area.
    BIG ?'s

To allow any water that gets in there out and also in case any oil gets in there past the starter motor O-ring.
    Dink

Comment

I dropped a starter bolt down that hole and never found a way to retrieve it. It didn't come out the bottom and hasn't made any noise or stopped up anything.

Comment

the only way to get that bolt out of there is to split the cases as there is a chamber underneath that anything oes into before it gets out side.
        Dink

Comment

Originally posted by phillsaska
          I dropped a starter bolt down that hole and never found a way to retrieve it. It didn't come out the bottom and hasn't made any noise or stopped up anything.
          Have you tried chasing it with a magnet?

Comment

Response to Dink of AU- "HOLY CRAP!" NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

To Dwarf 8- "Yep"

Comment

Originally posted by dwarf8
              Originally posted by phillsaska
              Have you tried chasing it with a magnet?
              Good Idea!! Tie a string around a strong round "donut" magnet and see if you can get it to drop down to the bolt before it sticks to the other internals... then slowly pull it back and see if you catch "the big one!" At least you don't have to worry about the magnet sticking to the aluminum casing... If a loose magnet on a string doesn't work, try a flexible retrieval magnet (looks like a long screwdriver shaft with a magnet tip).

Good Luck!
              Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
              X