Ground wire for R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground wire for R/R

I have seen many discussions about varoius common problems with the charging system on these GS. After having some problems myself, I have cut off all my connectors and hardwired them, with good results (tried crimp connecters first but that didnt last very long).
    - I have seen the recommendation for adding a ground wire to the R/R. What particular problem, what symptom, is that suppose to take care of? Well other than the R/R not being well grounded. WHat symptom will you notice if the R/R is not well grounded? Just low charging voltage?
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Grounding the RR

The recitifier, takes the 80volts x 3 phase, ac power, and rectifies it into roughly 14 DC volts. The other "energy" has to go somewhere. so it dumps it to ground, and expels it in the way of heat, through its own heatsink. Without a good ground, you are destined for all sorts of problems with heating wires, ruined stators... etc etc..
    Someone else may be able to give you an even better description of what it does but there you go!

Daniel

Comment

R/R grounding

In theory A R/R that is not properly grounded can add resistance in the ground path. A resistor is a current limiting device. So with less current being shunted to ground the regulator voltage output will increase and can "Boil" your battery. This will not cause your wiring to "over heat" in fact just the opposite. A good mechanical as well as a good electrical connection should be maintained. The mechanical connection will help to pass some of the heat to the frame.

Comment

I didn't know about the boiling battery.. this may explain a curious loss of electrolyte recently. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

So.... from your answers, I now understand that a bad R/R ground connection will cause the R/R to not be able to control voltage and voltage can go high and overcharge ("boil") battery and I would also guess other bad stuff from voltage being too high. And from the R/R not being mechanically well coupled to the frame/box it will may overheat from not having the heat sink.
          THANKS
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

The standard Suzi system is a dumb system, in that it does not regulate the voltage according to the actual battery voltage. If a ground is not working properly it just assumes that it needs to up the regulated voltage. I don't know why they did not use an actual wire to the battery to chack the system voltage..must have saved 10c or something in making the system..or else engineers only work with brand new systems that work as they should!

Comment

R/R

I agree, the GS charging system takes a "Bare Bones" approach to keeping the battery charged. It does however sense the battery voltage via the red wire coming from the R/R that is connected to the battery thru the main (15amp) fuse. When the "battery is fully charged and the specified voltage is reached the zener diode (in the R/R) conducts, switching the SCR on and the current stops flowing to the battery and instead flows to ground" via the R/R "ground wire" that started this whole discussion.

Comment

actually (at least in my case) a poor ground to the R/R causes poor charging, I checked my voltage before and after performing the R/R ground mod, and gained nearly a whole volt with the new ground wire!
                brand new the ground through the battery box is fine, but corrosion sets in quickly under those rubber battery box bushings and the problems start.

Comment

Working...
                X