Vibration in GS1100GK. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration in GS1100GK. Help!

Hi all. I have a very nice 85 mod. GS1100GK, with 54`000 odd miles The problem is vibration :? I`ve checked all the engine fasteners etc, all nice & tight! I`ve checked all fairing brackets,all ok. the bike runs great but on a long trip etc, it gets so bad i get pins & needles (numbness) in my hands . Is it normal to have some high pitch vibrations in these models If it is i`ll just put up with it! If not I hope some some one out there might have some idears .Cheers Steve from OZ.

This is a subject of current posts in the General Forum. Suggest you look there, and I believe if you go back a page you will find at least one more posting.

Some vibration is normal. Softer grips will help. Carb balance is apparently a key factor. It was on mine...vibration was bad on the right and it sounded rough, but ran and pulled well. Carbs were pulled and cleaned, and then again (a new fuel filter was also installed, as I got bits of debris in a fresh fuel-up and it was plugging the pilot jets.)

I adjusted it by ear and could not get it right. Finally got a Carb tool and that confirmed what I already knew: #3 was off, but no matter how I adjusted each carb, I could not get it to balance until I pulled the carbs right off the bike. Problem: mental block.

The adjuster screw positions do not necessarily mean the carb of the same number is the only one affected. Number 4 adjuster allows number 3 to close, as I discovered whit the carbs in my hand, the idle screw backed off completely, and one finger under the throttle to move it.

Probably 80% of the vibration is gone.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for your advice Argonsagas, fistly ill make shaw I read all current post .But ill check my carb ballance as I had them done fairly reasently :x , I never gave any thought to that being the problem.The softer grips were my next opp. Thanks again Steve from OZ.

Comment

I've had a GK for not quite 3 years and 32,000 miles. It vibrates. If I wanted smoothness, I'd get a six-cylinder Gold Wing (BTW, I've ridden the GL1800, and it's a wonderful motorcycle!).

As Ron says, check carb balance. Every year I take my GK to my trusty old Suzuki-trained mechanic, who checks them out. (Last fall he checked them and then left them alone -- didn't need to be touched). He also does valve adjustment (just one shim this last time). This may also have a bearing on vibration.

I have Grand Touring grips on my GK. They help out a lot also. Ordered them from my friendly local Yamaha dealer. I also wear gloves 100% of the time. That helps too.

Again, I go back to the fact that a GS1100GK, like most bikes, is not perfectly smooth. It isn't an electric motor, and it isn't a six-cylinder boxer. It's a real-world motorcycle. Some vibration must be tolerated. Frankly, I don't even think about it while I ride. I just think about how much fun I'm having, for such little money!

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick , good to here from you. Im sure your right, my be Im being a bit hard on the old girl, its agreat bike & I have loads of fun , my main concern was that I may have been a merchanical problem that needed an Expensive rebuild etc. Thanks for your good advice Nick Cheers Steve from OZ.

Comment

Gk vibes

Mine, too has the vibes at certain rpms. Do you have the small chrome inserts in each end of the bars? They will help a little.

Soft foam grips also cut the vibration.

Also, some are adding weight inside the handlebars by inserting lead shot or ball bearings then filling with some silicone foam.

Synchronizing the carbs also made a difference on mine.

The rest we just live with.

Comment

Mmm, that sounds interesting about the weight in side the handle bars, I never thought of that. I still have all the original bars & hand crips, with the chrome inserts,but soft crips & carby tune seem to be the general opinion .Thanks Five String for your advice. Cheers Steve from OZ.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen arthur
                Mmm, that sounds interesting about the weight in side the handle bars, I never thought of that. I still have all the original bars & hand crips, with the chrome inserts,but soft crips & carby tune seem to be the general opinion .Thanks Five String for your advice. Cheers Steve from OZ.
                I HAVE READ SEVRAL ARTICLES ON DIFERENT SITES ABOUT THE LEAD SHOT AND SILICONE IN THE HANDLEBARS--IT WAS ALL FAVOURABLE. I LOST THE ARTICLES IN A COMPUTER CRASH A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO--I HAVE USED THE SOFT GRIPS-CARB SINK AND WEIGHTS THAT INSERT INTO THE BARS AND IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFERENCE--I WOULD HAVE DONE THE LEAD SHOT AND SILICONE NEXT BUT THE BIKE SEEMS TO ONLY HAVE NORMAL VIBRATION NOW

Comment

Older Goldwings all have little lead weights in the handlebars. They absorb quite a bit of vibration. I changed to a handlebar without them once and immediately had to add weights. Now, if your bike is vibrating badly, you may have some other issues. Make sure your exhaust is mounted firmly in the rear, etc.

Tim

Comment

Vibes

The GS1100GK's came with lead weights in the ends of the handlebars. I took mine out years ago and suffered through the vibration (mostly mirror buzz) until this year. I installed a DynoJet kit in my stripped down GK2 and now, above 70mph if the tach wasn't working, I wouldn't know the engine was running.

Comment

My 1100GZ runs relatively smooth. No vibes at all, at least not enough to blur the mirrors or make my hands quake! I like the idea of adding weight to the bars though.
                      GY

Comment

Working...
                      X