electronics - fuse box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electronics - fuse box

I've been having an electrical gremlin in my 1981 gs850g, and I just cant figure it out.

I had turning signals, and headlights quit working and after reinstalling the same fuses they worked again. Then I had problem starting the bike, it would make no sounds at all at the push of the button. After fidgeting with the fuses it worked again. It didn't seem like a serious enough problem. I thought it was just some rust on the fuse holder connections, and I used radio shack electric cleaner, which I thought helped. Then the other day it died while running on the road. As usual playing with fuses solved the problem but now I am more focused on eliminating the source of the problem rather than fixing it every time.

I removed the fuse box, and I was ready to replace it with new style fuse holders and fuses. But I am confused about some connections now.

There are 5 fuses on my bike.

Top 3 have one side in common. According to my Haynes manual the common one connects to ignition switch. The other sides of top 3 are connected to turning signals, horns and lights, and the kill switch.
    This replacement seems easy enough. 3 separate fuse holders. One side of all 3 connected to the ignition switch and the other to the accessories I listed above. No confusion there.

But the bottom 2 fuses confuse me. They both have one side in common as well, but this one is connected to the battery, not the ground on the battery.
    The other end of one fuse seems connected to the ignition. The other end of the second fuse seems connected to nothing.

Here is the most confusing part, the common wire for the bottom two fuses seems to be connected to the ground via the fuse box holding bolt, and is also connected to the battery. The other battery post is also grounded. When I removed the fuse box from its bolts but left all the wires still on the battery was showing 0 volts? what the F?

any ideas?

Oh, one more thing. One time while I was playing with the fuses one of them burned me, and burned me bad. It also looks like one side of the fuse holder has melted the plastic around it...

Thanks for reading this confusingly written post.

Go to your electronic store and get a 5 fuse block and rewire it. Glue it to the battery box with some silicone

Comment

There are two sets of fuses as you've stated. I believe the two bottom ones are wired directly to the battery and the other 3 are turned on by the key. You should throw out the fuses you've now got and put in new ones, but squeeze the fuse prongs together a bit first. Then chase the red wire from the fuse box back to the battery and solder the connection you find.

Steve

Comment

hI

The top 3 fuses is powered from keyswitch.
        (coils-lamps- horn - flashers---)

Fuse no 4 is main fuse ,it is feeding the key switch.
        It is also feeding parking light ,when you take key full turn to right.

Fuse 5 is for extra things( heated grips -TV -stereo- ...)

Fuse 4-5 is direct from battery .

I had a voltage drop of more than 0.8 V between fuse 3 and 4,
        so I cut the wire from key switch and put in a relay.So key is switching on all power with the relay.So now I got no voltage drop, and cold fuses.

Fuse 4 is now only powering the relay and keyswitch park lights.

Comment

Working...
        X