Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch spring bolt torque values

Hi guys,

After installing a new clutch cable and not getting it working properly, I convinced myself it was a more serious problem with the clutch and tore it apart. Now I'm thinking the new clutch cable was just poorly installed and not properly set, so I'm trying to put my clutch back together.

I need the torque settings for the clutch spring bolts.. 1980 GS750LT. If anybody has this please let me know. I've looked through my clymer but I'm blind or something because I can't find the values.

Thanks

-Warren

p.s. if anybody has any tips on clutch cable setting let me know.

8 mm bolts torque to 15 ft lbs

Comment

Warren, be careful torquing up these bolts because they have been known to snap, even before the specified torque limit has been reached. I have not had this happen to me but I believe the Hap Call (amongst others) has experienced this. I seem to recall that Hap ascribed the cause to metal fatigue in the bolts, either due to repeated re-assemblies or due to loading during normal clutch use. Either way, the consensus appears to be that some gentility is required, and that a torque wrench calibrated in in-lbs (or the lower range of ft-lbs) should be used.

Good luck.

Simon (BB)

Comment

Thanks people. The bolts seem to be in good condition, but I guess you never know. I'll give it a try and let you know.

-Warren

Comment

Thanks Bolder.. I didn't listen enough though, I snapped one.. damnit. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

-Warren

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenC12
            Thanks Bolder.. I didn't listen enough though, I snapped one.. damnit. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

-Warren
            Don't worry, Warren, it has happened to the best of us........not me, but Hap!

BB

Comment

Been here too! Use a 1/4 drive ratchet and the appropriate socket and torque evenly until they bottom; you'll feel when they do. No major muscle, just sinch them. I broke 3 using 10 ft/lbs of torque with a small handled torque wrench.

Comment

My gs1100 is 7lbs.

Comment

Clutch cable settings

As for clutch cable adjustment, it is essential (at least on my 78 GS550E) to first adjust the clutch release mechanism. ESPECIALLY after having this disassembled or when insalling a new cable. Let me know if you want more information on this, and I'll be sure to copy word for word from my "tune-up" section. It is very easy, and just may cure that cable that was to tight (I'm guessing) no matter how much slack you allowed for at the adjusting bolt.

Let me know. It will take about 5 minutes for you to do.

Chad
                  GS550E

Comment

Thanks Chad, please send me your procedure.

Also, is it a huge deal if my bolts are only in at 12 ft/lbs or something like that? I plan to order new bolts and change them out at my next oil change, but I don't want to snap any more of them.

thanks.

-Warren

Comment

I set my 1150 to 6 lbs. No problems.

Earl
                      Originally posted by rosco15
                      My gs1100 is 7lbs.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

GS1000 6mm thread diameter bolts, 7.95 to 9.40 ft/lb roughly I still have all my original bolts, but have only had the clutch out about 6 or 7 times.

Comment

Working...
                        X