No Brake Light in 1980 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Brake Light in 1980 GS550E

The tail light lights fine but applying either the rear or front brake produces no brake light. It doesn't appear to be the bulb because replacing it to test the bulb yielded the same result. I suspect some wire somewhere is not connected. Where should I be looking? I haven't touched any wiring on the bike except for putting new bulbs in the instruments.

First place to check is the front since that's where you were working If you check the front master cyl switch (on the underside) you should have 12V on one side of the switch with the ign on. If you have 12 V it's time to check the grounds and the tailight bulb again

Comment

Those have to be the dodgiest parts on a GS. I spend 10 minutes every week or two fiddling with the adjustments on my 400s brake sensors. To test the rear grab the spring on the brake lever and pull on it.

Steve

Comment

Hey, guys, thanks. The rear switch turned out to be loose in its U-mount behind the right side cover, with the bottom nut flopping around somewhere around the loose spring. No tension, no light. The front switch is missing the brass contact switch and its return spring so I'll get a new one of those. Thanks again!

Comment

You should remove the parts from your clutch switch and disable it if you want to ride.

Steve

Comment

Hey Pete my GS550L has been missing the front break lever "brass contact switch and its return spring." Because I have never seen one I was going to build one from scratch, but if some one knows I would rather buy one?. Any idea if there is some place on the web, or do I need to go to my dealership's parts counter?

Comment

PartsnMore.com has this part including the wire for $6. Click on the GS Suzuki section. I don't think then that it's an expensive part OEM so I'll try to get it from my dealer who may even have it in stock.

Comment

Working...
              X