Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone with an '82 850g (or other shafty)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone with an '82 850g (or other shafty)?

someone posted on this about a year ago (on the same model of bike), but the solution to the problem isn't in the thread, so i don't know how it was resolved.

anyhow, if you have this bike, what kind of mph to rpm in 5th are you seeing? mine running at around 70mph @ 7000rpm in 5th. i thought fixing my slipping clutch would correct this, but i replaced the discs this weekend, and the clutch definitely feels 100% better (and doesn't seem to be slipping anymore), but i'm still think i'm revving high (compared to what others are saying they're running at).

but, after seeing the similar post from a year ago, maybe that's normal for the 850g? any thoughts?

Your RPM is higher than it should be What size tires do you have on the bike

Comment

i've got the stock wheels on her (i'm pretty sure they're 18", but not 100%)

i was thinking maybe the tach or the speedometer could be off, but i've never heard of a tach registering more rpms than it should (please correct me if anyone has seen anything to the contrary), and i've heard the speedo is usually more generous when it's not 100% accurate, so i don't think that's it. the tach has been a little funny when the bike is up on the centerstand (it tends to stick at 3k rpm), so i'm going to re-lube the cable and try spraying wd-40 into the tach itself to see if that changes anything.

other than that, any ideas? (and, as far as i know, the shaft / gearing has never been tinkered with, so i don't think that's the problem)

Comment

You should have a 130/90/17 or 16 rear wheel I would have to say your tach is messed up or the clutch is still slipping

Comment

I don't remember exactly what I'm running, but I think it's around 5800 or so rpm's at 70mph.
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

I am under 5K rpm at 75mph (4800 I think?) on my 80, 1000G

Comment

Check out these threads

5th gear - 13.7 mph per 1000 rpm is about right for my 850G

Comment

Working...
              X