Carburators are making me INSANE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburators are making me INSANE!

I think I am going to need a straight jacket in a couple of days. My bike is possessed :twisted: and I need help! I recently bought my bike and the first thing I did was rebuilt the carburators. It was running extremely lean and just couldn't perform. So I dissasembled the carbs soaked the bodies and replaced all the O-rings and went up a size in the main jet. I put them back together and saw a noticible difference in performance. I was still working on it so I was only riding it for small amounts and not really doing much of it. Till last Friday I got my manometer and synched the carbs on Saturday. Ever since it runs extremely lean on three cylinders andreally rich on one, backfires, and boggs down and stalls out. I have removed the carbs twice in the last two days and am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what went wrong. Was there something I didn't do in the rebuild, does my bike hate me, where did I go wrong? Please ANY ideas I'll try anything I'm desperate!
    Sorry it is just so nice out lately and I want to ride soo bad. I really appreciate any help.

Josh

Are you sure you balanced them in the correct order?
    You are supposed to adjust them all to no.3 , start by adjusting the centre screw to match no. 2 to no. 3 , then adjust no. 1 to no. 2 , and finally no.2 to no.3
    Remeber that cylinders and carbs are numbered 1 to 4 from the left as seated on the bike.
    Dink

Comment

If you had the tank off did you remember to plug the Vac line to #2?

Tony.

Comment

Were pretty sure we synched them correctly and we did plug the vacum line.

Comment

Intake o-rings? Airleak(s) anywhere? Is the airbox assembled correctly?

Comment

We checked for air leaks with brake cleaner, and no definite air leaks. Air box is complete and good. I'm stumped

Comment

Did you check the float heigths? All jets are snug? The pilot mixture screws are set correctly?

Comment

Re: Carburators are making me INSANE!

Which three cylinders are running lean and which is rich?
                How much vacuum are you drawing at what rpm on each cylinder?

Earl

[quote="kingoftheroad"]I
                Ever since it runs extremely lean on three cylinders and really rich on one, backfires, and boggs down and stalls out
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well after fiddling around with the carbs I re-installed them tonight. I crancked her up and she seemed fine. So I re-synched the carbs and took it for a ride. About halfway out she started backfiring, and really loud. So I hauled ass back to the shop and on my way in I really gave it to her. Then I killed it, and rolled in so I could check the plugs. Well the #1,2 are really rich and #3,4 are extremely lean. Now, I wasn't really out that long so I don't know if that is accutrate, but there is one thing that I am not shure if it is just coincidence or not but I pulled the #1,2 pilot jets while I had them off and didn't do anything to them but I still removed them. Is this just chance or is there something to it. Also I can't adjust my air screws, can I?

Comment

Also I can't adjust my air screws, can I
                    You have to remove the plugs to adjust the pilot mixture screws. There are little orings on the mixture screws. If you soaked the carb bodies without removing them you probably melted them. This may be your problem.

To remove the plug, drill into it using an 1/8 drill. Go slow and DO NOT DRILL INTO THE SCREW. Use a drywall screw to remove it. Oh yea, DO NOT DRILL INTO THE SCREW. One final thing, DO NOT DRILL INTO THE SCREW.

Comment

It's a brass screw, so don't drill into it.

Comment

So.. Don't drill in to the what?

It sounds real familiar... and I roasted the O-rings in my first cleanup on my 550. I'd definately check this out.

Remember EXACTLY how many turns it took to get that screw to the bottom. Do this before pulling, and record it for each carb! I made an alighnment scratch on the housing to align the slot of the screw to as well, after having to dink with them for a week and get them right again, cause dumb old me just yanked the screws without recording their settings. :roll:

Comment

Working...
                        X