Need Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Please!

I just got a gs 300l for free been sitting for atleast five years. All conections are clean but no spark at the plugs. One coil has constent power on both conections to it the other has constent power to both also but on of the conections is very weak with a bulb tester bearly enough to see. It turns over fine and has great compression what should I do? Is it the coils? Is it the black box? Is it the sensors/relay things? It is an electric starter. Any suggestions would be much appriciated. Thanx

I don't think that I know enough to tell you how to proceed except generally.

I don't know what the resistance should be on your coils but one of the quick checks on coils in general is to check the primary and secondary winding resistance. You'll need to find out what the resistances should be but you could check for a short or open condition to start with. Coils used to run similar resistance when everything used points but with the coming of electronic and high energy ignitions there are differences in resistance depending on whether they use high impedance coils or not.

Since you said the voltage was low to one of the coils I think going through all the connections and paying extra attention to the grounds is worth doing. I have had more than one bike that had problems due to high resistance connections or poor grounds.

I usually don't assume the coil has failed initially because I have had so few fail. I have replaced some because they have low resistance and don't produce a very good spark.

You really need to get a manual with a wiring diagram to check out the ignition system. It is pretty hard to trace the wiring without a diagram.

Mike

Comment

You didn't say what year...it could have points if it's 70s model.At the coils, you should have one terminal on each that's always hot with key and kill switch on, the other terminal goes to either the points or ignitor box and grounds that terminal when that coil is to fire. With all wires disconnected at coil, using a multimeter on low resistance(ohms)PRIMARY SIDE- you should have around 3 ohms resistance between the 2 terminals(if electronic ignition) or around 5 ohms if you have points.SECONDARY SIDE. hi-range on multimeter- From either terminal to one sparkplug lead you should have many(1000s) ohms, approaching infinity, but not open. This is only the test for the coils...need to know what kind of ignition it has for points or ignitor tests.

Comment

Ignition

Yes Sorry it is an 82 and yes it has electric no points.

Comment

Working...
        X