spark plug lead pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plug lead pattern?

Thanks to tips from this site, my 81 650e is back on the road.
    The engine was dying randomly and suddenly.
    I changed out the coils, and did a variety of other maintenance items while she was laid up. Even put in a speedometer cable and painted the old hoss. Amazing how much speed those two items add. ; )

The new coils seem to have done the trick re. the power loss. But here's another question.
    Does anybody know the proper spark plug pattern? When I lifted the tank I discovered the left hand coil was connected to 4 & 1 -- with the leads crossing each other. The right hand coil went to 2 & 3 -- not crossed.

I reproduced this pattern with the new coils and she starts & runs much better now. Dependable at all speeds. But she still sounds just a leetle bit rough -- like a very minor timing problem. On a whim I uncrossed the 4 & 1 cables, switched them & ran the bike for a little while. Smooth -- it could be my imagination, but it seemed to lose the roughness. But I didn't want to run it that way for too long -- just in case. (Crossed up some spark plug wires on the ol' Studebaker once and blowed up a muffler.)

So where can I find out the pattern for sure? I don't see it in Clymer. And if the original coil was supposed to be crossed, does that mean the "Acme" coil I bought from Cycle Recycler should have it's leads crossed too?

Anybody know for sure?

8)

Re: spark plug lead pattern?

The left coil fires cylinders 1 and 4. It doesnt matter which spark plug wire goes to cylinder 4 and which one goes to cylinder 1. It also does not matter whether the wires cross or do not cross. You may place them which ever way makes you happy. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Tim Hudson
    Thanks to tips from this site, my 81 650e is back on the road.
    The engine was dying randomly and suddenly.
    I changed out the coils, and did a variety of other maintenance items while she was laid up. Even put in a speedometer cable and painted the old hoss. Amazing how much speed those two items add. ; )

The new coils seem to have done the trick re. the power loss. But here's another question.
    Does anybody know the proper spark plug pattern? When I lifted the tank I discovered the left hand coil was connected to 4 & 1 -- with the leads crossing each other. The right hand coil went to 2 & 3 -- not crossed.

I reproduced this pattern with the new coils and she starts & runs much better now. Dependable at all speeds. But she still sounds just a leetle bit rough -- like a very minor timing problem. On a whim I uncrossed the 4 & 1 cables, switched them & ran the bike for a little while. Smooth -- it could be my imagination, but it seemed to lose the roughness. But I didn't want to run it that way for too long -- just in case. (Crossed up some spark plug wires on the ol' Studebaker once and blowed up a muffler.)

So where can I find out the pattern for sure? I don't see it in Clymer. And if the original coil was supposed to be crossed, does that mean the "Acme" coil I bought from Cycle Recycler should have it's leads crossed too?

Anybody know for sure?

8)
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Got it.

Thanks again!

Tim

Comment

if the wires were really close together or touching they may have been crossfiring slightly.

Comment

Hi

The coils with 2 wires fires both wire at same time.Every time the pistons are at top.It is called (wasted spark) system.
          A neat system ,but the spark plugs are eaten faster.

Comment

Working...
          X