Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White smoke, melted ground wires, blown fuse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White smoke, melted ground wires, blown fuse.

(GS 450 L) While working to disconnect the neg cable on battery, the pos. cable touched ground and white smoke and melted ground wires every where...aaah! After the smoke cleared, traced down most of the damage to the ground wires from the Rectifier to the right side of the bike. Replaced the wire and of course the blown fuse from the battery. All seemed well until we started the bike the 3rd time and the fuse blew again. We replaced the fuse and again we were able to start the little monster 3-4 times and then ka-blewy, the fuse popped again. Multiple fuses later, decided "NASA we have a problem." The $64,000 question, what do I need to be looking for now...I am an extreme neophite, when it comes to repair. Thanks. 8O

Try to trace the wire that goes to the fuse that's blowing. You probably have another piece of burnt wire somewhere.

Comment

It is the fuse that comes off the battery to the instruments and I assume back to the Rectifier? I tried to search the bundle and did not notice any other burns or damaged wires.

Comment

How exactly did this happen?
        I'm confused like crazy...

You were taking off the negative terminal on the battery and the negative cable somehow touched the positive cable?
        Am I reading right?
        That caused the whole system to burn up?
        Holy cow...that is scary.
        I always take off the negative cable first on the battery then take off the positive. Should I reverse that process so this doesn't happen to me??

Dm of mD

Comment

Sorry, maybe not explained correctly. On my machine, the pos. cable is short and does not allow enough slack to move the battery to get to the neg terminal. We noticed the neg terminal connection was loose and were attempting to tighten it, thus we had to remove the positive lead from the battery to even get to the negative and of course all it took was for me to let loose of the positive cable and cabloooooey, sparks, smoke and the rest is history. First order of business is a longer positive cable, but really need to find out why now the fuse from the battery is blowing.

Comment

You still have a short to ground somewhere. Check the fusebox itself. If it burned it might be shorting to ground.

Harrison

Comment

Okie dokie, will do some more tracing. The fuse does not go until you hit the starter for the 3rd or 4th time, so will look around the solenoid or starter? Just didn't know if the R/R might have gone south and is what is causing the fuse to blow. I am open to ideas, but in the mean time will try to trace out further burnt ground wires.

Comment

Is it possible the Rectifier got fried during the initial ground/smoke/burning problem or is it most likely ok. Can't find any other problems yet. Still looking.

Comment

Lost something in the translation????? Disconnect the reg wires and try it. If it still blows you will have to look further.

Comment

OK, have replaced all burnt ground wires I found and traced the wires clear up to gauges, I don't see anything else that is burnt. It starts and runs beautifully, but on the 3-5 time starting it, it pops the fuse, I really don't want to buy a new regulator/rectifier, but if that is what is causing the problem, then I will do what I must.

Comment

I think your electrical shorts/problem has nothing to do with your removing the positive lead from the battery. I can remove the positive lead from the battery terminal on any bike, car or truck and scrape the lead all over the vehicle and nothing will happen.

I think there is a good chance the R/R is toast. Try disconnecting the 3 yellow stator wires where they plug into the R/R. Tape or cap off the yellow wires from the stator. Start the bike and see if it runs normally without blowing a fuse. If it does, then the R/R is most likely the problem.
                      If the bike does run normally, take a multimeter and check the AC output of the stator to be sure it isnt part of the problem.

Earl

[quote="apaddle"]
                      We noticed the neg terminal connection was loose and were attempting to tighten it, thus we had to remove the positive lead from the battery to even get to the negative and of course all it took was for me to let loose of the positive cable and cabloooooey, sparks, smoke and the rest is history.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I would follow Earl's logic. In removing the cable you have have touched across to somewhere, perhaps the back of the fuse box/rectifier area, connecting the positive terminal to somewhere directly grounded. This could burn out something or melt a wire, creating a short circuit.

Comment

Bit the bullet, replaced rectifier, and guess what, it works. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Apaddle

Comment

Working...
                          X