Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costs for rebuilding an 1150, what can I expect to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is pretty labor intensive, the most expensive part will be the crank if you get it re-done, and the head will be the next most expensive thing...but i really dont know what it would cost for a crank to be welded, i just know in our race motor the crank costs around $1500 to be freshened up, and arond $2g's to have a stock one done from scratch. that would include a staight cut gear, katana rods, billet throws, etc.

for around 3g's you could do a nice street motor to last for a LOOONNNGG time,

later, Richie

Comment

You guys keep upping the price on me 8O

I'm not looking to make a drag motor, just something reliable that I can flog occasionally (or everyday :twisted: ). I don't think the crank really needs anything, or does it? I though the 1150 cranks were already welded? How much to balance one, would that help lessen the vibrations?

Basically all I really want is the clutch to get beefed up and some pods. Later on when I actually have money to spend I would like to give it more power but right now that's not the priorety.

I just want it to run solidly for now

Comment

Mookie,
        The $2500 I spent was for a "stock" motor. Not a drag motor or rev it till it screams motor.
        Mine idles as stock, runs when I want it to rev.
        Otherwise a rebuild of a motor that was neglected and needed help.
        Mine is an S model, differnt carbs, cams a little different.

Labor is the killer on any bike. Was it worth it? Hell yes.
        Would I rebuild this motor again in 25 years? Hell yes.

The motor still runs sweet. I've put about 15K on it. Done nothing, changed oil, valve adjustments. That's it.
        I don't baby my bike, I ride hard. I ride with GSXR and Busa guys.
        I stay with them, no problem.

Seriously think about this. Yes it's a big investment, but absolutely worth it.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

It doesn't appear to burn any oil or anthing
          Why not do a compression test or a leak down test. If everything looks fine than why bother doing a rebuild?

Comment

Working...
          X