Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch Basket Rattle, how to get rid of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Basket Rattle, how to get rid of it?

I have read that it is a common thing with Suzukis and nothing really bad/no big deal but its driving me crazy. Once the bike warms up it goes away and only really happens at idle when cold. Is the solution to replace the springs? Perhaps with heavy duty springs? I don't want to kill my left hand when applying the clutch so are heavy springs overkill? Is it a major procedure to fix? Anybody ever do this and have any success? Just curious. Thanks

Usually the rattle is from the teeth of the plates where they mesh in with the basket and hub. They do wear and thats where the rattle comes from. The other culprit is when the rivets that hold the basket together start coming loose and the 2 halves start moving on each other. This is a nasty one usually caused by high abuse. If they come apart,... BIG MESS 8O . People have welded the basket halves together with great success and this was a common mod before one piece units came out. Springs won't cause a rattle that I know of, unless maybe they are weak or broken. Depending on how much mileage is on the bike, maybe new springs and friction plates would be a good idea. Oh, I have HD spings in mine and don't find it overly hard, but I prefer a firm clutch.

Comment

Modyfied basket from APE ( GS zone ) for $ 200 + shipping will cure your problem.

Adam M.

Comment

The noise could also be the clutch hub nut is loose. Even with a lock tab washer, the nut loosened enough to cause the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister T
          The noise could also be the clutch hub nut is loose. Even with a lock tab washer, the nut loosened enough to cause the noise.
          Glad you posted that, Mister T. I had a bad rattle that developed quite suddenly on my 83 GS750ES. It turns out that the main problem was a loose hub nut (as you describe), even though the locking tab washer was in place. After replacing the nut with an APE one and retorquing, most of the rattle disappeared. I still have a some rattle left, probably caused by one of the conditions that Jon has described (plate teeth rattling in the basket).

BB

Comment

Thank you all for the info. So basically, an Ape hub nut, Ape welded basket and perhaps new friction plate combination should get rid of the rattling? (sorry for the stupid question but is the "friction plate" the same as the clutch?) While I'm at it, should I put in a new clutch and springs since I'm in there? I want to do this once if I am going to go through the trouble and its all broken down. The bike has 18,000 on the ODO but as always with these things, who knows. Thanks

Comment

Yes, I too get the rattling when I turn the handlebars locked to the right with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in.

Will buying the aforementioned parts cure that?
              Also, what can I do to make the clutch springs good but also not kill my left hand. I'm a skinny guy and stop and go traffic really wears out my left hand.

:?
              Dm of mD

Comment

I didn't have a rattling problem on my 1100G, but recently replaced the clutch discs (not the steel plates, though) and springs with Vesrah stock replacements. The guy at Cycle-Re-Cycle2 told me unless drag racing the bike or REALLY thrashing it on the road that heavy duty springs/discs were unnecessary.

Sure enough, the new parts work perfectly without putting undo strain on my left hand. The springs are much stiffer than the worn out ones, so I originally thought I had HD ones, but it turns out the old springs were just worn -- I wouldn't go with HD springs...

Enjoy,
                Steve 8)

Comment

Ah okay, I'll buy a vesrah kit then.
                  I was considering an EBC plate and spring kit but I'll go with the Vesrah one like you did. I prefer going with things that the great people here have used and found to work.

Thank you so much,

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                  X