Fuel in the Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in the Oil

In preparing to start my bike, I thought I'd change the oil. Also, all the comments about fuel getting into the crankcase via leaking petcocks got me wondering as well, since I've been working with a leaking petcock.

Surprise surprise. There was fuel in the oil. I drained it out, but now what? Is there possible damage elsewhere I should watch for, and is there anything particular I need to do before I try to start the bike? Also, the drain plug did not come off with a metal gasket. Can I get by with a fiber one from ACE, or do I need to plan a trip to the dealership to get a replacement?

Much thanks.

Just make sure to change the filter also. Local auto parts should have a gasket for the drain plug

Comment

Gasket

I'd change the oil and run the bike for a few minutes.....then change it again and install a new filter...after that I'd install a Pingel... I don't think there's supposed to be a gasket between the oil plug and the case. I don't recall ever having one on any bike I've ever owned and I don't recall ever having one leak.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

mine had a slow drip this week but it was because I didn't tighten it enough when I changed the oil. No gasket there either.

Dm of mD

Comment

Can I assume Pingel makes oil filters for the GSs? If so, what their advantage over stock? If they can be cleaned and re-used then I'm in.

Comment

Pingel does not make oil filters.

Earl

Originally posted by Arlyn Anderson
            Can I assume Pingel makes oil filters for the GSs? If so, what their advantage over stock? If they can be cleaned and re-used then I'm in.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: Gasket

Originally posted by chuckycheese
              I'd change the oil and run the bike for a few minutes.....then change it again and install a new filter...after that I'd install a Pingel... I don't think there's supposed to be a gasket between the oil plug and the case. I don't recall ever having one on any bike I've ever owned and I don't recall ever having one leak.
              There is usually a crush washer on the drain plug. If you reuse then several times they can become deformed and not have enough give to seal and will leak until they are tightened tighter.

Mike

Comment

Pingel petcock

Comment

Also be sure you don't have a piece of sand on the washer. That could easily cause a leak.

Comment

Washers

Most of the schematics show no oil plug washer..... :roll:
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Just changed the oil in my 1000. No oil drain gasket at all. Good to know that it is normal

Comment

Was there any gas in it?
                        I opened my oil fill cap and smelled and there was a faint hint of a gas-smell. My tank wasn't enpty so I don't think I had gas in mine. How bad is the gas smell when the Gas does get in there?

Dm of mD

Comment

Its pretty straightforward. If there is no gas smell in your oil, then there isnt any gas in it. If there is a gas smell, faint or otherwise, then there is gas in it.

Earl

Originally posted by Detman101
                          Was there any gas in it?
                          I opened my oil fill cap and smelled and there was a faint hint of a gas-smell. My tank wasn't enpty so I don't think I had gas in mine. How bad is the gas smell when the Gas does get in there?

Dm of mD
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hmmm...dump time then. Damn.
                            Well Harrison, looks like I will have to order that diaphragm rebuild kit after all...

Off to ebay I go.
                            Can I use any of the GS750 diaphragms they have on there? I haven't seen one for the 81 GS750L yet?

All I see are these...

..and I know the inside of my petcock doesn'tlook like those parts.

This one looks more like my diaphragm but it is listed for 1981-1983 GS750....no "L"

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                            X