Is 48 MPG Good For A 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 48 MPG Good For A 550?

I tested my 550 and I am getting and average between 47 to 49 MPG out of it since I cleaned the carbs out and got it running right.

What is the average MPG expected out of a 550cc street bike?

Jealousy!

Dm of mD

Comment

Thats pretty reasonable as an average mpg. A lot of modern bikes, because they go more for power (well, a lot more than older bikes!) tend to be a bit hard on the juice.

Comment

That's good, Hoom. I get 46-50 mpg on my GS550E with the higher number coming from not bouncing it up to redline at 9500 all the time. By the way, it starts now without the choke ! I don't know what I did beyond having the pilot jets freed and set at 1 1/2 turns from seated but I give it about 1/3 throttle and she's rockin' and rollin' at about 2000 rpm! Great bike. Bone stock with the stock airbox and filter and an eBay MAC 4-into-1.

Comment

Pilot jets? I thought the pilot jets were inside the bowl under those rubber plugs?
          Do you mean the ones on the outside of the carb? I thought those were the mixture screws?
          We need to come to some consolidation/standardization on what screw is called what...
          No wonder I can't get any of my carb settings right...everyone is talking different things with the same terminology.
          This sucks...

Dm of mD

Comment

The screws on the top of the intakes (usually under sealed plugs) on CV carbs are indeed called pilot jets. Don't ask. I've heard them called "mixture screws" and "air screws" too but according to R Riles at motorcyclecarbs.com they're actually pilot jets. They control the mixture from idle to about 1/4 throttle. When they're adjusted right you get a smooth running engine and a nice quiet clutch. I think on Mikuni VM carbs (slide throttle) the pilot jet is inside the carb body.

Comment

Okay, henceforth i am calling them "Pilot Jets". References/memories updated.

Thank you,
              Dm of mD

Comment

1985 GS550EF, averages 48 mpg when in a good state of tune. I monitor the mileage and if it drops below 45 I know it needs some work (granted If I am on it hard all the time, 45 is fine).

Kenny

Comment

So it sounds like I am right on then. Cool

Thx guys...

Comment

I get that with my S model

I got 55 on one trip. nyah nyah
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Bikes up to and including the manufacturer year 1979 had VM mechanical slide carbs. These carbs idle circuits were set by adjusting the fuel pilot needles and the airscrews for mixture. Starting in 1980, bikes came with CV carbs (constant velocity). CV carbs also have a fuel pilot and airscrew, but that is not how they are adjusted. They are adjusted by a third screw called a mixture screw/throttle plate/butterfly. This third screw regulates the amount of an already determined mixture that goes into the intake tubes in the idle range which is exactly what the earlier carbs (VM) did with the two carb screws. (regulate the idle mixture) They do the same thing, but they dont work in quite the same way, and the parts you adjust ARE different.
                      Whenever someone is speaking of adjusting a carb, my first question is always, VM, or CV.
                      Pilots jets are not adjustable in either style carb. Fuel pilot screws/needles are. (not to be confused with slide needles......something entirely different)

Earl

Originally posted by Detman101
                      Pilot jets? I thought the pilot jets were inside the bowl under those rubber plugs?
                      Do you mean the ones on the outside of the carb? I thought those were the mixture screws?
                      We need to come to some consolidation/standardization on what screw is called what...
                      No wonder I can't get any of my carb settings right...everyone is talking different things with the same terminology.
                      This sucks...

Dm of mD
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

My 400 was getting 43 a few years ago. I haven't checked lately, I'm due for a quick internal inspection of the carbs and a sync. Carb boot o-rings only cost 4 bucks each here so I'm changing them too!

Steve

Comment

Sheesh Steve! My 1150E gets 43 mpg at 75 mph. :-) :-)
                          It only get 27 mpg at 145 though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by srivett
                          My 400 was getting 43 a few years ago. I haven't checked lately, I'm due for a quick internal inspection of the carbs and a sync. Carb boot o-rings only cost 4 bucks each here so I'm changing them too!

Steve
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I'll have to get back to you on what I get at 145.

Steve

Comment

Re: Is 48 MPG Good For A 550?

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                              I tested my 550 and I am getting and average between 47 to 49 MPG out of it since I cleaned the carbs out and got it running right.

What is the average MPG expected out of a 550cc street bike?
                              Sssssshhhhh!!!!! 8O .....Don't tell Alex ("Satchmo").

BB

Comment

Working...
                              X