Is 48 MPG Good For A 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete's GS
    The screws on the top of the intakes (usually under sealed plugs) on CV carbs are indeed called pilot jets. Don't ask. I've heard them called "mixture screws" and "air screws" too but according to R Riles at motorcyclecarbs.com they're actually pilot jets. They control the mixture from idle to about 1/4 throttle. When they're adjusted right you get a smooth running engine and a nice quiet clutch. I think on Mikuni VM carbs (slide throttle) the pilot jet is inside the carb body.
    It sounds like someone somewhwere has something crossed up. A jet is an orefice inside a carburetor that has fuel drawn up through it by pressure difference. There is no such thing (to my knowledge) as an 'adjustable jet'. If you don't like what your jet is doing you unscrew it from the carb and put a different one it. That is if it's not a fixed jet, which means it can't be removed from the carb. You do have a pilont 'circuit' in your carbs, which includes a pilot jet INSIDE the carb, and a pilot air screw OUTSIDE the carb. This is the terminology used in every manual in my house including including carb manuals for SU, Rochester carbs, and one covering motorcycle carbs. I think it's pretty standard terminology and it's what I go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
      So it sounds like I am right on then. Cool

Thx guys...
      Mark

lancaster counrty PA. has lots of hills turn and stops. you are getting superior gas mileage . Of course the fact that you are only 4'3" tall and weigh 80 pounds helps a bit.

Comment

that's pretty good gas mileage. i get about 30-35 city driving...and about 40-42 on the back roads or longer rides. my setup isn't exactly stock, either.

~AOD

Comment

Hmm...I had better not say that my modified GS1000 gets 20 kpl on trips and 16 or more around town. This is going at speeds where I don't get caught doing the wrong thing....

Comment

For us Americans, thats 47 hwy/37 city MPG..

Nice! Wish mine was that good, and my GS1000 is stock!

Comment

I just got 44 MPG on my 1981 550L.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                Originally posted by Hoomgar
                So it sounds like I am right on then. Cool

Thx guys...
                Mark

lancaster counrty PA. has lots of hills turn and stops. you are getting superior gas mileage . Of course the fact that you are only 4'3" tall and weigh 80 pounds helps a bit.

Har har har har,
                Good points Dom, thx

Comment

Originally posted by knelson
                  I just got 44 MPG on my 1981 550L.
                  Rock on!

Comment

I did a lot of riding this weekend and most of it with my 10 year old son on the back. So a 550 pulling a lard butt like me with a 10 year old on the back equaled about 330 pounds of human cargo. We rode around a lot of country roads and had a great time stopping at parks and winding down through the twisties (paved cow paths they look like) that we are blessed with in this area. As best as I could figure with what we filled it back up with and the miles covered I averaged about 46 mpg with him on it. I am very pleased, it seems to do very well but may be running a bit lean yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X