Master Link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Link?

I thought I would take the drive chain off the 1100 and give it a good cleaning. Hmm. Can't seem to find a master link. Ok, must be rivited master. Hmmm. Still can't find it. Enough of this crap! I then REALLY cleaned up the outer links, but still could not find the master! 8O All the pins looked uniformly "mashed". Nothing looks different! ](*,) What do I do, just break it where ever I feel like it?

N.B. The chain is a DID 630 YL
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

What you have there is probably an endless chain, or else someone has done a really good job of peening the master link. Either way it is a breaking job, or removing the swingarm.

Comment

Clean it in place! then remove the countershaft cover and the chain guard and clean them.
      Just a suggestion
      Dink
      BTW kerosene works well

Comment

I should have read closer..I thought you wanted to take the chain off! Kero on a rag, wipe it on the chain to clean, then relube. Use a brush with a pan under where you are cleaning if you want. The factory manual suggests using kero, so there you go!

Comment

Master Link? What's that? All I see on my 1100 is a nice "mostly" worry-free and reliable shaft!!

But, seriously, above suggestions are excellent ones ... don't bother taking off the chain to clean it. Unless you're going over the entire bike with a Q-tip you'll get more than adequate results using the sage advice above.

Regards,
          Steve 8)

Comment

Actually, I wanted to take the chain off to see if I could clean it and er, free it up. There are a few kinks in it. :roll: Yeah, yeah, I know it needs a new chain, but I was hoping I could work the kinks out or something just until I see how the bike works. Well, it turns out I can't even get a master link for the chain, at least not by just quoting what it is. Oh well, I broke down and bought a cheapy chain for now. I am thinking about a 530 conversion, depending on how the bike works.
            Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Was it a DID chain? I just bought a clip today and they have OEM and normal o-ring DIDs. I'm not sure what the difference is though, but I'd bet you've got an OEM since it's endless.

Steve

Comment

Yup, it was a DID 630 YL. Went to my buddy's motorcycle shop, he didn't have anything obvious. Checked out his Motovan book and found a part # for a DID 630YLS. Same thing? Anyhow, it's discontinued. :? Phoned around to a couple of shops, nothing. I wound up getting a screamin' deal on a Eeeek, er EK non O-Ring chain, which will do for now. Really, I was just kidding myself thinking I could "fix" the other chain. It was really hooped.
                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X