Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey slopoke!! got a ?? for ya!

Hey man,
    I read on one of these posts where you mentioned beating the baffles out of your pipes with a steel rod to make them louder? (don't even think to tell my ol lady I even mentioned such a thing)

but what I wanted to ask, is how hard is that "procedure" to reverse?? say if I notice a significant change in performance?? should it make the engine run easier? smoother? or will is just make the pipes louder?

can I just undo the clamps holding the pipes on and stick it back in? or is it welded? for some reason I trust you when you say you're not pullin our leg on this one (don't know why... )

thanks a ton!!
    'beard

'Beard it is not reversable unless you open up th muffler.
    Dink

Comment

how "open" of a muffler would that be? actaully crack the case at the weld or could you possibly access it just from the last factory "hole" once it's off the bike...

thanks!!

and how would that affect performance, I would think it would reduce the backpressure, allowing the force of the combustion to be directed more toward the drive instead of fighting the muffler, but then do I need to rejet just for this little adjustment?

obviously I only think I know what I'm talking about!!! :roll:

Comment

"beard you would be better off getting aftermarket mufflers, if you look closely at the front of the stock mufflers there is two small welds you cut and then you can replace them with sonething a bit freer breathing.
        If you knock out the baffles in the stock muffler you will need to open the muffler from the rear, if you look you will see rivets, then get the bent and buckled old ones out straighten them and reinstall them.
        Dink

Comment

Listen to the advice given it is right on.
          More than likely though knocking out the bafels doughnuts will only make the bike a little louder. look at your plugs and unless they are burning white you may improve the performance however un noticable it may be. If you have doubts about these things dont mess with them I have a few motorcycles and go for anything i can find to change performance on most of them. I never am stuck without a ride because of a mistake and i make many of them in my experimenting. When I was a salesman the guys would sit around and tell amazing stories and mostly about women they encountered while traveling.
          an old timer told me that i should remember that all of these things did not happen during a short period of time.
          Moral is that riders who get desired results usually have tried over and over. Also have failed many times

Comment

cool, thanks for the help. I'll probably elect not to mess with it, the bike runs and that's what I'm after. I just noticed that as loud as it sounds gunning it in the neighborhood, once i get on the road with a bunch 'o cars I can't even hear it!!!

maybe I'll just whistle more!!

Comment

Working...
            X