81 1100E allen key/philips conversion list, carbs too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 1100E allen key/philips conversion list, carbs too

Okay, I went through the fiche and this is what you need to get rid of the clutch, stator, and magneto cover screws. Also includes clutch pack and inner stator screws, synch screws (not for carbs themselves though...) Doesn't cover any internal screws you may run into either :?

BUT my dealer only has stainless bolts and the engine is pretty much all aluminum...can I use stainless instead of plated if I coat them in never seize?

Allen Key
    5x06 x1
    5x08 x4 plus copper washers (synch screws)
    5x30 x3
    6x20 x6
    6x25 x1
    6x30 x7 may only need 4 if clearance in stator does not allow for Allen Keys
    6x35 x8
    6x40 x2
    6x45 x1
    6x55 x1
    6x70 x1
    6x85 x1
    6x95 x2

Standard Bolts
    6x30 x3 (If Allen Key bots do not fit stator)

Flange Bolts
    6x30 x6 (clutch pack)
    6x40 x4 plus copper washers or rubber dipped washers (valve cover screws)

Round head counter sunk screws
    5x12 x8 (valve cover end caps)

Steve

Re: 81 1100E allen key/philips conversion list plus a questi

True the engine is aluminum. nut all the bolts are steel. Stainless is also steel. There is no problem here. :-) I would not substitute a stainless bolt for a heat treated/hardened stock bolt as that could be a problem. (the stainless would likely not be strong enough) Stainless steel is stronger than the average mild steel plated fasteners.

Earl

[quote="srivett"]
    my dealer only has stainless bolts and the engine is pretty much all aluminum...can I use stainless instead of plated if I coat them in never seize?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I had a problem after I replaced my exhaust manifold bolts with stainless fasteners. Two weeks later I wanted to change my gaskets and the bolts were stuck solid...I never had this problem with standard bolts. Hap told me it was the interaction between the two different types of steel. I would hate to have to helicoil my entire engine so I thought I better ask first before changing the rest of them.

Steve

Comment

Steve, any kind of steel and aluminum do not like each other. Steel bolts can freeze up like a Bit** in aluminum. I always coat the threads of ALL bolts with never seize. Particularly, my exhaust header bolts.

Earl

Originally posted by srivett
        I had a problem after I replaced my exhaust manifold bolts with stainless fasteners. Two weeks later I wanted to change my gaskets and the bolts were stuck solid...I never had this problem with standard bolts. Hap told me it was the interaction between the two different types of steel. I would hate to have to helicoil my entire engine so I thought I better ask first before changing the rest of them.

Steve
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

What Earl said...plus... stainless will gall stainless also, ie. stainless nut AND bolt, Never-Sieze is the trick for all (the ones you put in) bolt removal needs

Comment

Here's the list for the 4 cylinder carbs, CV variety

Carbs: All Allen key
            04x06 x04
            05x12 x21
            05x15 x03
            05x16 x16 plus lock washers
            06x12 x06
            06x16 x02 plus flat washers

Steve

Comment

where does one get these screws fairly easily and cheaply?
              do these screws apply to most gs engines?

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I don't know if they fit other engines, the carb ones do but that's it. I read the dimensions off out of the part #s. The really long 6mm bolts are the most expensive of the lot, a 70 is over a buck Canadian! You need to get the Allen Key bolts because there isn't enough space to turn a regular bolt.

You can get them at fastener shops that don't sell by the box. Cycle Recycle also sells engine cover kits for 20US

Steve

Comment

My ACE Hardware has ALOT of these screws u just have to go thru the drawers match or find what u need and put in a small brown paper bag located very close, theres a pen on a chain (wheres the trust) and i write 10 cents times how many nuts, bolts or washers i get, whoops i mean what ever the price on the top of the lid says it's suppose to be.

Comment

I wish there was an ACE hardware in Camden Tennessee. I paid 12US for four sets of 1" long stainless bolts, nuts, and washers! Hick town USA :? The only thing to do there while having the front end alignment of my van straightened out was to go to the library. 8O

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X