Is this mounting fashion okay for Dyna coils? *pics*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this mounting fashion okay for Dyna coils? *pics*

Well, My cousin and I took off from work and decided to work on the crap-bike instead. We couldn't get the dyna coils to fit in the stock mounting positions. They are too big for the GS750L frame space. So we got some of those strap metal/mending plates from the hardware store and bolted them to the stock holes and mounted the coils on there.

Buttoned the bike back up with the wires going to the right places and....
    Crank crank crank crank...no fire.

Doublechecked our connections...everything okay, plugwires have continuity, coils heat up when ignition turned to "On", primary resistance is still 3.0 ohms....WTF?!?!?! It still won't kick over.

I've been hesitant to do the spark-test where you hold the plug against the cylinder of the bike because of the zap-factor but it seems to be the only sure-fire(no-pun-intended) way of verifying that my ignition components are correct. So if I do get zapped and have a heart attack, my wishes are to be cremated and this bike pushed off the grand canyon.

One thing we couldn't get a reading on was the secondary resistance. no matter how I dug around and connected the ohmmeter to the wires while they were connected I could not get anything. When we took the wires off and checked them end to end we got a reading on the meter as if we were touching the two terminal leads together?? How exactly do you check the secondary resistance? I stuck the leads inside the coil while it was disconnected too and got nothing.

After I got *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed off and put another dent in the tank my cousin decided that perhaps it was time to go for a nice long ride. Not the best of ideas to ride with anger but I didn't get a ticket or hurt myself or anyone so...

We arrived at Ihop and me being the surly bastard that I was managed to *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ off a woman that was totally hitting on me...all cause I was mad. Oh well, 3.2 million to go. Anger sucks.

After Ihop we went back and installed the new short stalk turn-signals on the bike as well.

*stumped*
    I have no clue now what to do besides take the coils to the shop to get tested or risk electrocuting myself testing them empirically.

Suggestions?
    Dm of mD

Turn the ignition switch (but don't try to crank)and check the voltage
    to the hot wires coming in on the coils. You should
    be getting a minimum of 11v, but preferable higher.

Your CDI unit could be bad if the voltage is low.
    Check that first, then get back with us.
    Don't throw the bike off a cliff...
    That would qualify as a mortal sin and send you straight to
    motorcycle hell!!

If the voltage is good to the coils, the next thing I would try is
    taking the air box off and spraying a shot of starter fluid straight into the carbs. Then trying to get it to fire.

That should be enough to get you started.

PS. It OK to have multiple brewskees when working on the GS
    but not while driving!!

Gods Peace
    Mo

Comment

I found out something on another board about these dyna coils.

To make the kit a proper bolt on, all of the necessary hardware is included. Also, brand new NGK silicon wires are cut to length with the proper connectors for the coils installed. New terminal lugs are included so that there is no splicing required. Unclip the connectors from the stock coils and they go right on the clips included in the kit. - Ducatitech.com
      They come with the correct clips to power them. Looks like i should have bought new instead of used after all. Perhaps that is why they are not working. Something about the stock wiring harness that I spliced into must be different somehow.

screwed as usual,
      Dm of mD

Comment

Mobetter, I am getting 12 volts at the coil power wires after testing there. They are fine.
        I'm beginning to suspect now that this may be a carb issue because the plugs are as clean as when I put them in there from the box. It's like they're possibly firing but they're not even wet with gas or anything. The tank has gas in it so what could be the issue?? Hmmm...

I'm going to check the oil and take the gas tank to the station and fill it up after work. I hope to God that it's not draining into the bloody oil.

:roll:
        Dm of mD

Comment

Try the starting fluid spray in the carbs.
          It only costs $1.50, If it fires right up with the
          spray then you have some gas issues.

Those plugs should be wet with gas if you weren't
          getting fire but plenty of gas flow.

Peace
          Mo

Comment

Okay kewl. i'll pick up some starting fluid while i'm filling the tank up at the station as well. Thanks man!
            When I pulled the plugs they smelled faintly of gas but they weren't wet like when the tank was completely full before when I tried to start it.

Please take a close look at the mounting I did on the Dyna coils. Will this be enough to ground them to the frame?

Thank you,
            Dm of mD

Comment

If you are worried about a good ground,
              take your voltmeter and check the resistance
              from the ends of your coils, where the bolt holes are
              and put the other lead somwhere on the frame.

You should be getting 0 Ohms resistance if you have a good ground.

Peace
              Mo

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the tip man.
                I needed that.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                X