Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blown main fuse 83 gs 750 e ( first post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blown main fuse 83 gs 750 e ( first post)

My 83 gs 750 keeps blowing the main fuse. I heard that if you unhook the headlight it might fix the problem. I unhooked the headlight and no difference. I also unhooked the tack because it blew when the fuse blew. Now the fuse blows at high revs. I'm at my wits end. I'm not much of a mech. but I am a quick study so any help would be appreisiated. Thank you

right track

I think you are starting on the right track-disconnecting things one at a time until the problem stops.

I would also go over the whole bike and clean all grounds and connections to be sure you don't have any bad or dirty connections anywhere. Look for wires that have rubbed through the insulation and are grounding out, plug-in wire connections that are dirty/corroded, etc.

If none of this reveals the source of the problem, the Clymer repair manuals off step-by-step procedures for testing most of the electrical components using meters and test lights.

Hope this helps a little. It's a start.

Comment

If it was me trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I would probably do something like this:
      I would unplug every electric thing possible. Every light, EVERYTHING! Try the bike again. If you blow a fuse then you know that everything unplugged was not your problem. So that will rule alot of things. If the fuse doesn't blow, shut the bike off, and being plugging in one thing at a time. Starting the bike after each item has been reconnected until you blow the fuse. That will isolate your problem to the last thing you plugged in. Then you can fix the problem. I feel your pain, the bike I am riding today sat for over a decade and I ended up redoing the whole electrical system. Hang in there. You'll eventually get it.

Josh

Comment

Re: blown main fuse 83 gs 750 e ( first post)

Originally posted by Ryan Lobaito
        My 83 gs 750 keeps blowing the main fuse. I heard that if you unhook the headlight it might fix the problem. I unhooked the headlight and no difference. I also unhooked the tack because it blew when the fuse blew. Now the fuse blows at high revs. I'm at my wits end. I'm not much of a mech. but I am a quick study so any help would be appreisiated. Thank you
        Check your wiring harness under your fuel tank. If it's like mine(and I remember correctly) the wires from your stator connect under the tank and can chafe on the frame causing a dead short from the stator.

Comment

thanks alot for your sugestions I will try them all. And we'll see what happends

Comment

Working...
          X