Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal Problems....Still

Hey All
    So my lights would not flash a little while ago. Then after taking the bike outside to work I saw a piece I had forgotten to install sitting on the LandRover's tire, so I put that on and voila! The lights flash, but only at or above 2 or 3k RPM. I saw this in a thread a long time ago, but can't remember now, what causes this? And how is it fixed?
    thanks

Barry check your voltage with a digital volt meter. check your fluid levels. Make sure your battery is fully charged. The flasher isn't getting adequate voltage to trip the relay in it at those low RPM, and no it isn't normal.

Comment

Fluid levels? Which ones? Just the battery ones? And where should I check the voltage? Thanks

Comment

Check the water levels in your battery (remember only use distilled water to refill). You can check the battery's voltage level at the posts, or maybe its better to check with the pos lead then ground it to the frame.... not sure which is more recommended . I have done both depending on how the battery was and if I was taking it out alot.

If while its running you don't see a raise in voltage you can use the stator papers located on this site to track the nature of your charging problems.

I think battery failures tend to be a tad more common, but I'd double check as much now so a few weeks down the road you don't have to do it again.

Comment

Ok, the battery was reading 12.13 or so, so that's good. It was new last year. I topped up the distilled water(still have almost 4Litres left!), three of the six were a little low, but not dry or anything. And the lights still won't flash. I can't run the bike right now because the case is empty, and I need a gasket so I can't fill it with oil, well, I could, but I'd have to do it again in a week, and I'm not riding the bike so why bother? Anyways, can someone post a pic of what the right side electrics look like on a GS400 or similar? What comes off the negative post of the battery, and where do the three or so wires bolt to that odd shaped metal thing? Thanks,

Comment

No, 12.13 is almost a dead battery. A normal charge level is in the 12.5-12.8 range.

Earl

[quote="Barry Rivers-Bowerman"]
            Ok, the battery was reading 12.13 or so, so that's good.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

12.13 is almost dead?!? Aren't they 12 volt batteries? how high can they go? So I should put it on the charger, get it up to 12.50 or so and see if the signals work then?

Comment

:-) :-) :-) Well Barry, 12 volts is dead, 12.25 is about 20-25% charge.
                12.5 about 70% and 12.7-8 is fully charged. A fully charged battery when first taken off the charger and holding the temp surface charge will show about 13-13.2 volts. On the average for a battery in use and considering the charging system is working correctly, when the bike is shut down and everything is off, you should see about 12.6 -12.8. I wouldnt worry as long as its above 12.5 though.

Earl

Originally posted by Barry Rivers-Bowerman
                12.13 is almost dead?!? Aren't they 12 volt batteries? how high can they go? So I should put it on the charger, get it up to 12.50 or so and see if the signals work then?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ok, why is a twelve volt battery, only fully charged if it's at more than thirteen? Is there a reason or anything? Or is it just one of life's little mysteries?

Anyways, I got the battery charged to about 12.6 or so, and the lights still didn't flash, but I found the fourth bulb, so there was some progress made I'll wait until I get the gasket and the bike running and road worthy before I worry too much about the singnal lights, I've always got my arms to wave around like an idiot.

Comment

Barry, its because Canadian volts are only about 65% of U.S. volts.

Earl :-)

[quote="Barry Rivers-Bowerman"]
                    Ok, why is a twelve volt battery, only fully charged if it's at more than thirteen? Is there a reason or anything? Or is it just one of life's little mysteries?

Comment

Working...
                    X