Speedo and Tach cables Busted....where to find replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo and Tach cables Busted....where to find replacements

Well, this being my first post, I jsut picked up a '78 GS1000 from my next door neighbor (this was his 2nd GS1000). The bike has 180,000 miles on it, but since its been sitting for 2 years it needs alot of work (typical carbs, petcock, and brakes).

My question is that he says the speedo and tach cables are broken, but since the bike doesnt fire I cant say 100%. Where can I find replacements (for the cables) as those are 2 things I need to price and work on before getting the bike on the road.

--Dan

Did you say 180,000 miles?

Try Ebay-Parts-Motorcycle-Suzuki

Comment

Re: Speedo and Tach cables Busted....where to find replaceme

I buy everything I can from these guys. Their service is 4 star and they are great to deal with. I've bought a lot of various cables from them too.
      CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Earl

Originally posted by DDMan
      Well, this being my first post, I jsut picked up a GS1000 from my next door neighbor (this was his 2nd GS1000). The bike has 180,000 miles on it, but since its been sitting for 2 years it needs alot of work (typical carbs, petcock, and brakes).

My question is that he says the speedo and tach cables are broken, but since the bike doesnt fire I cant say 100%. Where can I find replacements (for the cables) as those are 2 things I need to price and work on before getting the bike on the road.

--Dan
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You can unscrew the cables and pull the inners out to see if they are busted for sure.

Just about everything for your bike is still available from your dealer too, so it's always worth a phone call to them to see if a part is in stock. I'm lucky to live close to a decent size dealer that can get everything within 4 days.

Steve

Comment

With that kind of mileage I would first try to get the engine running first to see if it's still okay before buying any other parts.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
            With that kind of mileage I would first try to get the engine running first to see if it's still okay before buying any other parts.
            Ya...I agree, first concern is making sure im getting fuel and spark, as the starter works fine, but it wont fire. I was just looking, because I did searches on "not starting" and found plenty of info, but nothing on busted speedo/tach cables. Im just looking as to WHERE I should start looking.

Most of the miles on the bike were highway miles, and the guy has owned it since 14,000 miles (he commuted to the bay area daily ALOT, which is 200+ miles one way from where he used to live).

Any idea where I can search for Suzuki dealers in the area, or where I could get parts, because Im a little lost on the subject and never was really looking for a NEW bike, so never went to any of the dealers (or tried to find them).

Comment

Bike Bandit is good for buying OEM parts (and more). I bought a tach cable there a couple weeks ago. No problems.

The Suzuki web site has a dealer locator:
              Suzuki manufactures legendary motorcycles such as the GSX-R, championship winning RM-Z motocross bikes, agile scooters, and revolutionary ATVs.

Comment

You didn't say what year? for a 79GS1000E If you need cables buy them new they are not that expensive
                bike bandit lists them for speedo $18.53 tach $17.25

Comment

Edited....

Its a '78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                  X