Potential 82 GS850 'project' purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential 82 GS850 'project' purchase

Ok, I'm looking at an 82 GS-850GL (shaft drive) as a 'buy/fix/sell' project, or to replace my current 450TX (depending on which one sells easier)...

I can get this bike for $300, it has excellent chrome, but will need a new-used tank (since this is generally cheaper than repainting & kreem-ing) and a replacement airbox. I've got a line on an airbox from a member here...

All I know about the mechanical condition is (a) it looks great on the outside, except for the tank (which has paint issues), and (b) it does power up (electrically) and turn over (but without a clean tank & the airbox, I wasn't about to ask them to gas it up & run it)...

Any 'things to look out for', esp wrt shaft drive (a/o chain, which I'm familliar with)?

Is 29k mi 'high' for a 22yo bike (my 450, which I got 2yrs ago, had 7k)?

Also, what is an 82 850GL worth (with 29k mi and an immaculate exterior)?

29K miles by my way of thinking is about half-way through an engine's expected life span. It really depends, however, on how well the engine has been maintained. You might want to do a compression test, since you can turn it over. Also take a look at the oil to see if it's reasonably clean.

About the value: I just bought a clean 82 GS850GL with 9,600 miles on it in February for $1000. It ran, but I've had it in the shop fixing oil leaks, replacing parts, and just getting to know it. I'll have more than $500 in it before it sees the road.

Last week, I bought an 82 GS1100GL with 28,500 miles for $1200. It runs well (once it warms up) and had a fairing and hard bags on it that I plan to sell.

I hope this helps. If I could find an 82 GS850GL for $300, I'd buy it on the spot. But then, I happen to have a strange affection for that year and model.

Comment

I have over 133 thousand miles on my 80 1000G and it had it's first top end job at 112 thousand miles, at that point the cylinders were worn past the first over size to the second!!! (worn 1mm over bore!!!)

Comment

The shaft drive mechanism is bulletproof;no concern there. If paint is the only fuel tank problem, don't sweat that either (for a $300 bike).

What you WOULD have to do, though, is set the valve clearances. I wouldn't buy the bike unless you can loosen all 23 of the cam cover bolts. If any snap, you're screwed. From there, ignition, carburetion and charging are your remaining concerns. The first two can be labor-intensive but not drastically expensive.

Parts are generally readily available for this bike, but the head & cam cover are orphans. They changed the bolt pattern for '82, and that was the end, so those few components are scarce. Again, if you can get those cam cover bolts loose, the head should outlast the bike.

I would also be interested in a compression check, but usually these engines are good for at least 60k with minimal maintenance; with good maintenance, they run forever.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
          The shaft drive mechanism is bulletproof;no concern there. If paint is the only fuel tank problem, don't sweat that either (for a $300 bike).

What you WOULD have to do, though, is set the valve clearances. I wouldn't buy the bike unless you can loosen all 23 of the cam cover bolts. If any snap, you're screwed. From there, ignition, carburetion and charging are your remaining concerns. The first two can be labor-intensive but not drastically expensive.

Parts are generally readily available for this bike, but the head & cam cover are orphans. They changed the bolt pattern for '82, and that was the end, so those few components are scarce. Again, if you can get those cam cover bolts loose, the head should outlast the bike.

I would also be interested in a compression check, but usually these engines are good for at least 60k with minimal maintenance; with good maintenance, they run forever.
          Heh... I snapped a cam-cover bolt re-building the top-end of my 450. Not fun... lead to snapping the 4 exhaust header bolts, which lead to a rather expensive professional bolt extraction job...

The gas tank has visible internal rust, ergo new tank off the parts board or Ebay ($10-40)...

Thanks...

Comment

Valve Clearance Adjustment

P.S.

Do the big bikes use car-style adjustable valve clearance (eg adjusting screw & lock nut), or do they require shims like my 450?

Comment

To me, $300 for an 850GL is a really good deal--especially if it looks like it could run. The engine and drive train in these bikes are wonderfully robust. Even if there are some other problems, if the engine is strong, you could easily have a very fine bike. It has enough miles and it's old enough that you'd want to think about the brake pads, rotors, and fluid. The fork oil may never have been changed. The tires should probably be replaced. Oil seals and gaskets may need some attention, especially at the tach cable connection, the oil filter cap, and maybe the cam cover. Check the gear oil, too. Electrical connections would probably benefit from being cleaned. Still, add it all up, and if you do a lot of the work yourself, you could have a bike that would be a joy for years. I love the 82 850GL. I have one that's almost ready for the road right next to me as I write this.

Comment

The 850GL uses shims for valve adjustment.

Comment

Hey Karl......tell me you have a computer in your shop....or at least a computer on the carport...

If not then I'm not the only one crazy enough to do "work" in the house....

I built my first Volkswagen motor in my living room.....(she's gotta love me)

Comment

Yep, I have a computer in my basement shop, and a TV and a stereo. The computer is real nice when I need to look up a part or want to take a break to surf for a while.

I think I did my first Volkswagen engine in the kitchen, but that was a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                      I have over 133 thousand miles on my 80 1000G and it had it's first top end job at 112 thousand miles, at that point the cylinders were worn past the first over size to the second!!! (worn 1mm over bore!!!)
                      8O 8O 8O
                      Unbelievable!!!
                      Just amazing!

8O
                      Dm of mD

Comment

It IS a tough old bike!
                        They are comfortable to ride, tend to stand-up in the curves if you power-on.
                        I have found that on my '82 GS850L that good tires and brake pads make a heck of a positive difference as well as clean carbs.
                        It always starts and runs. Hard to wear out!
                        Have Fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X