Ignition Wiring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Wiring Help

Does anyone happen to have their gas tank off of a 1982 GS850G or equivalent? I am just in the final stages of my restoration and started the bike but it is only firing on # 2 and # 4 cylinders. I am resonably sure I have the plug wires or the coil wires on wrong. I have the wiring schematic but it doesn't say which primary wires go to which coil, although I tried it both ways. Don't have a shop manual so am not even sure of the plug order other than the numbering on them.

Right now the bike is wired like this.

RH Coil
    Orange and white wire to pos. term.
    White wire to neg. term.
    1/3 plug wire to #3 cyl.
    2/4 pug wire to #4 cyl.

LH Coil
    Orange and white wire to pos term.
    Black yellow wire to neg. term.
    1/3 plug wire to #1 cyl,
    2/4 plug wire to #2 cyl.

I am assuming the cylinder numbering is #1 on the left side and #4 on the right????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bob

here is a wiring diagram for you.
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDfAtAXkbQC*xL*EGYHbzYYKOfFrS**K5xJob0NuDwOC7uTn gW1Dk!fHB9jKNNXFye7h1iMabfvtaGcab2LUSFkT0rPy*AXp!f G9nz2El3ByA2ZroeGzA/schemaGS850US.jpg?dc=4675467553974124679[/img]
    If I remember correctly the left coil (as you are sitting on the bike) is the coil for plug 1 and 4, the right one is for 2 and 3.
    the plugs are numbered starting from the left 1,2,3,4.

Comment

Focus

Thank you very much! I had both plug wires going to the same side of the bike rather than the way you said. Runs good now. I even checked the charging system and the voltage is good there also. That completes all of my basement runs and checks. Wife also thanks you because I can stop smelling up the house. LOL Tank, fenders and seat and it's ready for the first test ride.

I'm pretty excited because I bought this bike and took it apart without riding it. The bike looks just like brand new now and I can't waite.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

bob

Comment

you are welcome!!!
        glad I could help, now to get every thing back on and the bike up the stairs for a test ride!!!

Comment

Working...
        X