backfiring and no topend power HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backfiring and no topend power HELP!!

After a beautidul ride today i pulled in my driveway and my bike fell on my passenager while i was in the house he said it fell on him then he "layed it" down, no damage at all but now i cant go over 6500-7000 rpms when all day i was hitting 8500-9000 rpms and now its backfireing. one person said there might have been a piece of dirt in the bowl (of the carb) and when it was tipped it clogged one of the jets... also there is a power loss but not until 5700-6000 what should i do keep riding hope it comes loose or pull apart the carbs or any other ideas?
    the bike this is in reference to is a 1979 GS550L
    well thanks to all the reply
    and happy holidays

It sounds like something was disturbed. Fuel blockage is the most likely cause, so I think you are on the right track.

Comment

well thank god i didnt have to pull the carbs and clean them i knocked on the bowls a few times and started it up and she is goood but still backfires when reving with no load so when i get my new exhaust and filters were going to pull the crabs and (since there is no jet kit for my bike) you have to adjust the jets. well clean everything then but until then it doesnt bother me... is that bad im riding it like that i mean she def. has power but iek i said reving when not under a load it backfires at 7000 ???

Comment

Dropping a bike will make it misbehave for a while. I've dropped mine when avoiding an idiot bicyclist and on another occasion I stepped off of it when it slid on ice. Both happened at 5 km/h or less. The first time it ran a bit worse than usual but she fixed herself. The second time the tranmission turned into 7 neutrals! After slapping her around a bit I got the gear box to work again and rode home and it hasn't bothered me since.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
        X