No power on my new 850!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power on my new 850!

Hey All, I just (today) became the proud new owner of a 1981 850G The bike is in fantastic shape and super clean with 24000 km on it. Unfortunately the bike isn't running as well as it should be. The problem is that the bike is utterly lacking in power. The bike starts well and will idle fine but will not pull like it should. In particular I can't get the bike up to highway speeds...ie when I shift into 4th (or 5th) gear the bike will not accelerate at all even with wide open throttle. The previous owner had the carbs out and cleaned/rebuilt last year. I pulled the plugs and they are blackened (running rich?)

The bike has the stock 4-2 exhaust and the stock jets (as far as I know) I have a new battery and have checked the charging system and it is a.o.k. Air filter is brand new and clean.

Any suggestions? Do the carbs need to be synched? I am a rookie when it comes to wrenching on bikes but am very willing to learn and if there's something I can do to cure this myself I'd be a happy man.

Thanks in advance!
    Randy

p.s. This site is amazing! Totally unique group of people unlike any other on the net! I'm looking forward to getting addicted

Welcome Randy,

I'm sure you'll like this site and learn a lot.

A quick test would be to remove the air filter and leave the airbox cover off. This will allow more air into your air/fuel mixture. If the bike runs better this way you're running rich for some reason. It can be diagnosed further after this step.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

How's the compression?

Comment

It could be caused by the float level being too high

Comment

Hey Guys thanks for the suggestions....I tried running it with out the air filter this morning and it didn't like that at all. The engine was surging, I couldn't get the revs over about 3000 and I had to have the choke on full to keep it running. Is the float level easy to adjust? I will pick up a compression tester and check out the compression level tomorrow.

Thanks Again,
          Randy

Comment

I suggest getting the cheaper guage at Canadian tire. The only difference between it and the more expensive one is that you can't take the hose off.

to change the float height you have to take the carbs out and remove their bottoms to bend a tab.

Steve

Comment

Okay, I just rode the bike about 60km from my parents place to mine and the bike burned through nearly half a tank of gas, while my girlfriend following behind me in car smelled gas the whole way. This makes me tend to believe I have a float problem...correct?

Comment

What everyone is saying is that you have to start somewhere. Checking the compression is a good first step, This will make sure all of the cylinders are capable of doing their work. As to the carbs they are an unknown and you need to remove them for repair. Clean them and make sure they are set correctly. Make sure the floats are set correctly and make sure the float valves are cleaned. Make sure to replace the O rings on the float valves while you have it appart

Comment

Working...
                X