Helmet Lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet Lock?

I have a '83 GS650GL and on the left side, under the seat I have the OEM helmet lock assembly. How do you use this thing? I use a full face helmet and I have been trying to lock it up using this lock, but everthing I try just doesn't seem right, or too secure. There are two "prongs" which can be opened independently, which confuses me even more. Call me simple, but I can't figure this thing out.

I think you put a D ring from your helmet through the lock and let the helmet dangle above the exhaust...yeah right. :roll: It's a bad system and anybody's 8 year old could yank your helmet off. If it's a good helmet and you park in the same place every day it will get stolen eventually. You're better off using a cable lock or a U lock through the face of the helmet and around your tire.

Steve

Comment

If you have a really nice helmet but hate carry it around like I do you can actually just pick up a piece of rubber coated cable like for a bicycle and run it through the face shield opening of the helmet and lock it down to the frame with a decent padlock. Or what I have done in the past is use a Kryptonite Disc Lock the one that looks like a mini U lock and then they sell an accesory cable that you could also run through the helmet. But that was when I thought I had money and was paranoid 8O about people even looking at the bike.

Good luck either way,
      GeeSebeater

Comment

Yeah forget about that helmet lock you can just pull on it to get your helmet off. I took it off of my bike because it is pointless. I would get an aftermarket one if you are paronoid, or a pitbull. Pitbull is a lot more fun.

Comment

Have you ever noticed those shiny little upside down "T" shaped thingys hanging down from the back of some Honda Goldwing Trunks?? You can buy them at bike shops or from Dennis Kirk. It has a hole on the bottom of the T that you can slide the lock bar into. the D rings of your helmet slide down the body of the T and hang from the bike. A nifty little device that saves a lot of grief when trying to lock a helmet on a bike. Just my 2 cents.

Here I found them in a J.C. Whitney motorcycle catalog, part number AGH062619R. You can check out what they look like at www.jcwhitney.com cost $4.98. Helmet locks for $11.99

Comment

If you're 650 is anything like my '80 550L (and it probably is), getting any helmet into the lock is a pain in the butt! I was going to make the same suggestion Michael made, but only if you aren't extremely attached to your helmet. If it's nice and someone wants it, they'll get it with the stock lock ... and even if they don't, hanging the helmet so it doesn't fry on the exhaust pipes can be challenging.

Good Luck,
            Steve 8)

Comment

Any lock that locks the helmet to the bike using the helmet "D" rings and having the helmet hang by its chin strap is gone in two seconds by anyone with a $2 pocket knife.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
              X