• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 750 ES

This is starting to get too me.
    83 gs 750
    4-1 pipe and K&N pods

Ok here is the problem the bike starts right up and idles fine but when you give it gas it boggs out and sputters and farts. Let it warm up for 30 minutes same thing. So I play with the air/fuel screws and it runs fine after playing with them for a minute. they are out 2 1/4 turns. The next morning the same thing all over again, and the fuel screw go in and out but always come back to rest at about the same place. Any clues, The carbs were synced last year by the local suzuki shop so syncing is fine. Spark is good and the wires are all fine. After I have it running it runs like a bat out of hell.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Did you install a jet kit and are you running the stock carbs? It sounds like the idle circuit is working fine, your problem could be in the needle circuit which a jet kit will solve. These bikes are cold natured when starting and will require full choke for the first 2-3 minutes but that does not sound like your problem. As far as stock carb setting go, I can't help much as I have been running GSXR flatslides on my 83GS750 for 15+ years. If you are running a pipe and pod filters, you should install a jet kit to work with these mods, the needles are adjustable and can be tuned to cure any midrange problems. For a little more $, a set of flatslide carbs(34mm) and drop-in cams will really wake this motor up. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

I was never able to completely fix my 700. With the same mods, below 3k was a real dog. She could get thru it, but it was hard. When the timing advanced it was much better. and over 7k was great. I put in a dyno-jet jet kit, stage 3, and it worked well everywhere except off idle. I did find that the settings were a bit rich on the needle, so I had to lean that out quite a bit. I think the jet kit was designed for the 750 though, and those issues may have been because I had a 700. I think the RS34's would be a great upgrade, and they are easier to tune as well. They are not cheap though. I think a timing advance might have helped me, but I never got around to it. Cams complete the package nicely. Have the bike idle for a bit and then shut her off and pull the plugs. This will tell you what the idle jets are doing. It's possible that you're running rich or lean there, as well as on the needle, and the overlap is too much. The idle can be fixed with the twist of a screw, so if that's the cause it will be an easy fix. Good luck.

Comment

you definately need a jet kit with those pods on your carbs.........
        same thing with me on my 900 eliminator.......too much air!!!!!

Comment

I tried to sort out the stock carbs with no luck. When I went with aftermarket cams, I installed the flatslides. A cheaper alternative to the $600-$800 RS carbs are early GSXR flatslides. The GSXR air cooled motors came with flatslides that will bolt right up to the stock GS intake boots. They are still CV carbs but are much better than the stock GS units and can be had in the $200 range. Mine are off of an 86 GSXR 1100-this bike used 34mm carbs that are perfect for a modified 750 motor. Most of these found used also already have a jet kit installed. By the way it is very hard to justify the time to tune individual carbs once you have experienced the beauty of Fuel Injection. A 2 hour job on the GS turns into 5 minutes on the TL. Progress sometimes is not so bad. Good Luck, Ed.
          1983 GS750ED
          2001 TL1000S

Comment

Working...
          X