Brake Pads: What's Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pads: What's Best?

I'm going to replace the brake pads on my GS850GL and am looking at the options, and I see quite a few. Looking at the Dennis Kirk site, is see kevlar, SM15, ceramic, and non-metallic. Can anyone help make sense of these different options? I suppose they'll all work, but what's best (for the money and for my ride).

i bought non-metalic. I am no brake expert but i would think you definitely would not want anything metalic. Pads are cheaper to replace than rotors are.

Comment

On both my bikes I presently have SBS ceramic pads (from Dennis Kirk). I have found these to be very good and will use them again. The 550 which has unvented (solid-nondrilled) rotors stops good wet or dry with very little noise. On the Concours which has 3 vented rotors they stop even better with no noise at all. I have used Dunlop sintered metal pads on the 550, but, I felt they were too hard on the rotors. I have also used Vesrah pads, but, I felt their wet weather performance was weak. The legal disclaimer... 8O this is just my personal experience your actual mileage may vary, substantial interest penalty for early withdrawal, batteries not included, some assembly required, member FDIC. :roll:

Comment

How long do the ceramic pads last? I want something that brakes well and lasts a decent length of time.

Steve

Comment

My experience is a bit different. There's no such thing, in my long experience with GS bikes, as a pad that doesn't brake well. Also, they last about the same.

I've owned 4 GS850's, and now I ride a GS1100GK. 210,000 miles altogether since 1986. All of these bikes take the same type of pad, front and rear. I've found absolutely no difference in performance or in longevity among any of them. I've used stock Suzuki pads (Tokico), EBC, Vesrah, SBS, no-name brands.

So, my advice is to shop price. I recently bought a set of rear EBC pads for $11 or so, including shipping, on eBay.

No one can accuse me of babying my bikes. I'm a rather aggressive rider with throttle and brake. What matters more than brand or type of pad is condition of discs and other braking components, from master cylinder to braided steel lines, to calipers and freshness of brake fluid.

Just my opinion.

Nick

Comment

Earl I just got a full set from J.C.Whitney and they seem to work well. about $15 a rotor

Comment

I guess I will just say that as long as your brakes stop you before something else does, they are probably sufficient. :-) :-)

earl

Originally posted by Michael Falke
              Earl I just got a full set from J.C.Whitney and they seem to work well. about $15 a rotor
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

OK. The ceramic sound interesting. They seem to come in a high-friction version for the front and a low-friction version for the rear. But there's a warning message on the web page that I quoted below. What does that mean? Were sintered metal brakes OEM on the GS bikes?

NOTE: NEVER USE SINTERED BRAKE PADS IN BRAKE CALIPERS ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED WITH NON-SINTERED BRAKE PADS. Check your owners manual to see if sintered metal brakes were OEM equipment on your motorcycle.

Comment

From the various literature I have read, it APPEARS that usually Suzuki specified a sintered pad for the front brakes and a non sintered pad for the rear. I would check a service book to be sure of what was specified for my model bike.

Earl

Originally posted by karl_ibsen
                  OK. The ceramic sound interesting. They seem to come in a high-friction version for the front and a low-friction version for the rear. But there's a warning message on the web page that I quoted below. What does that mean? Were sintered metal brakes OEM on the GS bikes?

NOTE: NEVER USE SINTERED BRAKE PADS IN BRAKE CALIPERS ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED WITH NON-SINTERED BRAKE PADS. Check your owners manual to see if sintered metal brakes were OEM equipment on your motorcycle.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I think what they re warning about is the pad/dick relationship. You can really wear out disks by using the wrong pad. I used some cerametallic lockheed pads for a number of years seemed very good at the time. Now I have some EBC Kevlar/metal pads, seem better. I would note that the differences were more apparent at a track day, as the better pads keep on braking well after my right hand has given up!

I prefer a pad that gives consistent cold/warm and wet braking performance.

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                      I think what they re warning about is the pad/dick relationship..........I prefer a pad that gives consistent cold/warm and wet braking performance.
                      It appears that the use being referenced here is not Suzuki-approved. 8O I know that some strange things go on in Oz but this takes the cake!

BB

Comment

Hey that caught my eye as well. Don't know if that effects the "grip" or not but should warm things up! 8O

Comment

Well, at least it appears that one positive result will be that Saaz builds up his grip in his right hand.

Well no Doc, my eyes are bulging because I have this really horrible cramp in my right hand and I cant release my grip.

Earl :-)

[quote="Bolder Biker"]
                          It appears that the use being referenced here is not Suzuki-approved. 8O I know that some strange things go on in Oz but this takes the cake!

Comment

If this is what Saaz does with the front brake pads, I shudder to think what uses he finds for the rear! 8O 8O 8O

BB

Comment

Ask a simple question....

I decided to go with EBC Kevlar pads, the only reason is because they're the only pads Bike Bandit listed for my 850GLZ. It's probably true that they all do the job.

Thanks for all the interesting contributions.

Comment

Working...
                              X