New Member - Big Hello and in need a little bit of help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member - Big Hello and in need a little bit of help

Hello all. Was sent over from a fellow member on the Maximum-Suzuki board. Just a quick hello.

I just purchased a '79 GS750 this past weekend. The bike is in great condition except for two things:

1. The entire choke cable and assy is missing. Does anyone know where I can pick a new one up? I looked on Bike Bandit for the part numbers but could not find any. Can anyone send me in the right direction for a supplyer that could get these parts or a place where I could buy these used?

2. My carbs need some good cleaning. Not a problem. The bike is completely stock. Before I tear into the carbs and clean everything, I was wondering if someone could give me a base setting for the needles (if they adjustable), float height, and A/F screws.

I really want to keep this stock w/ the stock exaust, however, is there any quick tuning which should be completed to make her run properly. I know my 1200 Bandit needed some shims on the needles because it was set up sooo lean from the factory.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to spending a bit more time here....hope I'm welcome!!!

Re: New Member - Big Hello and in need a little bit of help

Glad to see you here, welcome aboard. :-) I just happen to have a 79 750E heh heh.

You can get a choke cable from http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/interest.htm
    I dont know of a listing for the choke knob and screw in fitting that fits into the top triple tree though. I would call the people I gave the URL for above and ask if they can get those parts for you. They are in Indianapolis and they answer their phone, soyou dont have to deal with some machine telling you to punch buttons. :-) They also know what the H--- they are talking about. :-) Great people and I deal with them a LOT.

CARBS........ Set the fuel pilot screws to 1 1/4 turns out, Set the airscrews to 1 3/4 turns out. Set the float bowls to 24-25mm.
    Synch carb vacuums to 10 in hg @1200 rpm. Set slide needles in the middle groove. Also, remove the flanged intake boots from the cylinder head. On the mating face of the flange, there is a groove and there are "O" rings that seal the intake flange to the cylinder head. Replace them.
    The "O" rings cost about $1.50 each and can be bought through any local Suzi dealer or ordered from the same people above. Just do it, even if the old ones look OK.

If you are going to tear the carbs down and clean them, be sure and soak them in a tub of carb cleaning solvent overnight. (remove all rubber and plastic parts before soaking) Spray can squirts here and there are a waste of time and only mean you will have to do the job right the 2nd time around. You can get carb rebuild kits from cycle recycle also. The kits come with new jets, "O" rings, springs and gaskets.

Tuning.........if you have points, set the point gaps to 14 thousandths and be sure it is static timed to the |F1 and |F2 for the left and right pointsets.

Earl

Originally posted by Gennaro
    Hello all. Was sent over from a fellow member on the Maximum-Suzuki board. Just a quick hello.

I just purchased a '79 GS750 this past weekend. The bike is in great condition except for two things:

1. The entire choke cable and assy is missing. Does anyone know where I can pick a new one up? I looked on Bike Bandit for the part numbers but could not find any. Can anyone send me in the right direction for a supplyer that could get these parts or a place where I could buy these used?

2. My carbs need some good cleaning. Not a problem. The bike is completely stock. Before I tear into the carbs and clean everything, I was wondering if someone could give me a base setting for the needles (if they adjustable), float height, and A/F screws.

I really want to keep this stock w/ the stock exaust, however, is there any quick tuning which should be completed to make her run properly. I know my 1200 Bandit needed some shims on the needles because it was set up sooo lean from the factory.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to spending a bit more time here....hope I'm welcome!!!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you look up under handle bars it is listed on BikeBandit
      # 509014-001 $21.23 It comes as a complete assembly

Comment

Thank you so much to the both of you.

Huge Thanks!!!! \/

Comment

Different carbs on my 79???

Ok...so I went through and cleaned out all the carb parts.

1. My #2 and #4 carbs allow the mixture screws to turn out to 1 1/4 turns MAX.

2. My #1 and #3 carbs allow the mixture screws to turn out to OVER 1 3/4 turns.

Why is this????? With that being said....do I set the mixture screws on the 1 and 3 carbs to the 1 3/4 turns while ONLY turning the 2 and 4 carbs to 1 1/4??? Or should I set them all to 1 1/4???

Lastly, my airbox, filter, and manifolds are in really bad shape. I would like to NOT have to purchase an entire airbox, filter, gaskets, hoses, etc. Can I purchase pod filters and do away with all of this WITHOUT rejetting??

I have a 2001 suzuki bandit which is constantly being modded. I want to keep this as much stock as I can. Do they make "restrictive" pods...where I can pop them on instead of having to go back in and richen everything back up????

Comment

Re: Different carbs on my 79???

For simplicity sake, I will intersperse my answers with your questions.

Originally posted by Gennaro
            Ok...so I went through and cleaned out all the carb parts. ********* Do you mean you disassembled the carbs and soaked them overnight, blew them out with compressed air and then reeassembled them, or you squirted some aerosol and wiped it off?***

1. My #2 and #4 carbs allow the mixture screws to turn out to 1 1/4 turns MAX.********************There are no mixture screws on VM carbs. There is a fuel pilot screw (underneath the carb) and an airscrew (on the side of the carb. To clean the carbs both of these must be removed and that means they both must be turned more than 1 3/4 turns to come out.
            My 79 750 takes aprox 4 turns on either of them to be able to remove the screw. If you did not remove them to clean the carbs and they were adjusted 2 turns out, the bottom threads may be gunked up.***************

2. My #1 and #3 carbs allow the mixture screws to turn out to OVER 1 3/4 turns.

Why is this?????
            *****************which screws?*******

With that being said....do I set the mixture screws on the 1 and 3 carbs to the 1 3/4 turns while ONLY turning the 2 and 4 carbs to 1 1/4??? Or should I set them all to 1 1/4???
            ***********No, you cannot do that. Thats kind of like putting two 16" rims on your truck on one side and two 4" lawnmower wheels on the other side because you dont have all the correct wheels and then expecting it to run normally. :-) The solution is to check the threads and try to determine why things are not right rather than knowingly doing it wrong.************

Lastly, my airbox, filter, and manifolds are in really bad shape. I would like to NOT have to purchase an entire airbox, filter, gaskets, hoses, etc. Can I purchase pod filters and do away with all of this WITHOUT rejetting??
            **********You want to throw away your complete air induction system that is engineered to match the bike's engine requirements, replace it with something that isnt matched and then leave the stock jetting in place and ..........also expect the bike to run too?*********

I have a 2001 suzuki bandit which is constantly being modded. I want to keep this as much stock as I can. Do they make "restrictive" pods...where I can pop them on instead of having to go back in and richen everything back up????
            ***********No, if you change things, then things have changed.Rejetting is not a choice, its a must.********

Sheesh!

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for your posts Earl.

As far as the cleaning....they were soaked overnight. Completely stripped down. All four were separated, needles removed, etc, etc. I even lubed up the choke rod and the slide rod. A lot of crap came out of those.

The airscrews were the screws which I was talking about. The didn't "feel" right. I didn't think they could be fully removed. Knowing that makes me feel better. I'll pull them all the way out and fully cleaned.

As far as the jetting....what kit would you suggest? Is there a particular kit which works well for this bike? There are some pods on ebay selling for $35 for all four. This is gonna be a real cheap way to clean up the airbox.

Comment

If you soaked the carbs with the air screws in, make sure you replace the o-rings on them, or you may encounter problems later.

Satch

Comment

Working...
                X