How do you make Dyna Coils work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make Dyna Coils work?

The only info I can get from the DYNAtek website is this...

Dyna P/N= DC1-1
    Plug output posts = 2
    Primary Resistance = 3.0 ohms
    Secondary Resistance = 14,400 ohms
    Color = Green
    Style = J
    Price = $155.00

Now what I need to know is this...
    -What sparkplug wires to use
    -What sparkplug caps to use
    -How to connect the bloody things to the coils

The people at two bike shops that I went to on saturday looked at me like I was some kind of nutcase when I told them what I needed. Apparently they sell the plug caps, the wire...but not the connector to connect the wire to the coil?!?!

So, with Harrison Clement guiding me, I bought a set of 7mm car sparkplug wires because they have the connector to put into the dyna coils. I snipped the ends off and put the bike plug-caps on them. I then fitted them into the holes on the Dyna coils and remounted everything. The bike will still not turn over with the help of starter fluid. I empirically tested for spark and there is a stringy blue spark. I was expecting something a lot more powerful out of coils that are supposed to be more than 10% more powerful than stock coils.

What am I doing wrong? The stock coils had no designation as to what was negative or positive. Just orange-white and some teal colored wire. How is anyone supposed to know which is + and which is - ???
    Those boys at suzuki must have been hitting the bong when they came up with the wiring color scheme on these bikes...lol. :roll:

Thanks,
    Dm of mD

P.S. If videos and pictures are needed I can post them. I took plenty.

Also, the plugwires are the fiberglass core. Not the copper-core.
    I bought 6 feet of copper core wire but couldn't find the connectors to connect the wire to the coil. Then when I did find the connectors at Pep-boys I found out I needed some heavy duty crimp tool to put the connectors on the wire. :roll:

The auto shop apparently doesn't carry copper-core wire because of "RFI" in automotive electronic systems.

So where can I get Copper core sparkplug wires or a set of wires for these coils? I'll try NGK next...

thanks,
    Dm of mD

Comment

The Fibreglass core wires are your problem. Together with the 5K end caps, creates too much resistance. :twisted:

Comment

Crap, well, any idea where I can get the proper copper-core wires?

Bike stores don't carry em and apparently neither do car stores...

Dm of mD

Comment

Check NAPA auto parts and just ask for a spark plug
          kit with copper core wires.
          Stranded or solid core is OK.
          Don't use the caps.

Some NAPA stores may still have some on a roll.

Peace
          Mo

Comment

Sweet, Thanks Mo!!
            Off to NAPA I go!
            All i really need are the connectors and the crimp tool. I have the wire and the caps already.

Dm of mD

Comment

You can get a set of plug wires direct from Dyna Tek. If you use the
              silicon type plug wires You use the automotive type end Not the Suzuki/NGK plug caps so you will have to put that little screw nub back on the plug. The solid core wire you can usually find at a HD type store

Comment

A-HA!! Thanks! SO I buy my wire from H-D, my coil connectors from NAPA and my plug caps from any Bike store...

Yeesh, all this running around just to change plugwires...

Labor of love?

Ya damn real!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Well, I went for a ride at lunch to NAPA. They had the parts listed in their catalog but not in stock. Plus they wanted to sell me a 50-pack of the connectors!!! 8O I said "No thanks" and went to the local Hot-Rod car store right around the corner and down the block from my house.
                  I got the coil-connectors and found the crimp-tool...and all at my local Hot-Rod Car shop. I should have thought to go there in the first place last saturday. That would have saved me about 60 dollars which was wasted.
                  Ah well...

They said that Copper-core wire is not good for motorcycle electronic ignitions because it messes with the signal.

They also said that my weak spark is probably because I used stainless steel mending plates that are zinc plated. They said that stainless steel has a high resistance and would cause my ground to be diminished. Any suggestions as to what I could use? I'm going to go with anything that isn't stainless steel when I get off of work but I just want some of you alls' suggestions.

Thanks,
                  Dm of mD

Comment

Detman101, Most any autoparts store will have 7mm non-resistor plug wires for sale. Failing that, get a set of 8.8mm Accel "off road use" car wires. These kits include the metal clips you will need to stick on the coil ends and matching plug caps plus give you the sporty "yellow wire" look. Next thing, your old electronic ingition won't be bothered a lick by the non-resistor stuff. You can't match resistor with non-resistor stuff so make sure the wires, caps and spark plugs themselves are all non-resistor. The coils you bought should have a .pdf type install file on the dynaonline.com web site. The way you hook the coils up is that there will be two pickup wires coming from the end of your crankshaft where there are position sensors. These wires will either go into an igniter box and from the igniter box once each, to your coils (not sure I recall if there is an igniter box on your model). These wires provide the signal when to fire to the coils and can't be mixed up. Then, there will be a hot wire going to the other lead on your coils. The coils are grounded through the mount points to the frame.

Comment

Okay, so...

1. Q: Do I need the "Copper-core" wire or the "Fiberglass core" wire??
                      2. Check: Whether caps I bought are resistor/non-resistor.
                      3. Q: If I had any "resistor" components mismatched with "Non-resistor" components would I still get a spark? Cause I do get a spark right now.
                      I may have the leads from the ignitor box mixed up and on the wrong coil.
                      At least...I pray that is what is wrong.
                      4. Q: Will the mending plates I used give a good enough ground?

I will report in later tonight and update this post with results.

Dm of mD

Comment

An impedence mismatch between resistor and non-resistor components will still give you a spark. Not as hot a spark, but you will get a spark. I think if your bike isn't running, it is likely that the connections from the igniter to the coil are not right. Check the dynaonline.com instruction sheet for their Dyna 3000 for your bike and you may get a hint at how to connect your OEM igniter wires to the new coils... Remember that each coil is firing two plugs at once... usually this is 1&4 and 2&3 for the other coil, so you can mix the 2&3 plug wires but not a 1&3 on your bike. The Dyna instruction sheet is at:

Comment

YEs, I have the coils hooked up to the proper cylinders/sparkplugs(1&4, 2&3).

Like you said in the post above, I believe that the only thing that could have gone wrong now is that the leads going to the coils are switched. IE: The leads that should be going to the coil for 2&3 are plugged into the coil for 1&4.

I will switch them and see if the bike will start.
                          I'm going to kick myself if that is the problem... :x

Dm of mD

Comment

Well, I must admit that my butt hurts from donkey kicking myself last night.

It lives...

Dm of mD

Comment

Reason would suggest that you had a 50/50 chance of hooking the wires up correctly but experience shows that if there are two wires, that will NEVER be the reality! Bwhahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X