stall when hard stoping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stall when hard stoping

i just got done doing my ERC course and when we had to do the hard stoping my bike would stall out each time (yes my clutch was pulled in). the instructor mentioned something breifly about my float heights being to hi or sumtin, i'm not sure. can anyone elaborate on this phenomana and what can be done to corect this, it only happens when under emergency braking conditions. i am runing a stg 3 jet kit and the bike runs very well and the carbs seemed tuned no air leaks not to rich not to lean. so what can it be.
    oh yeah the weather was cool as well so the engine shouldn't have been running hot, and the bike would start up no problem after it stalled and there was no back fireing or anything after.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I would guess tat under hard stopping the fuel sloshes to the front of the float bowl and causes a lack of fuel to happen. If the float height were set too high wouldn't it still keep running?

Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah

This situation has been mentioned before on this forum and it's very common. I've had a bunch of bikes and have noticed it on every one of them. :roll:

There's a question/answer concerning it in the latest article of "Cycle World"; it's rather complicated but I've decided not to worry about it and not to try to deal with it. 8)
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Ryan,

It's probably a combination of a not fully hot engine and your low idle. Most GS's are cold blooded and don't idle quite right until fully warmed up. Plus you keep your idle pretty low. I don't think I'd mess with the float height since your bike runs well except for this rare situation. I'd bump the idle up a couple hundred RPM and see how it does.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
        X