cables - oil or no oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cables - oil or no oil?

I just bought a new clutch cable and have a really basic question. Are you supposed to oil them before installing? The service manual says to hang it up, attach a little plastic bag, fill the bag with oil, and let it drip into the housing. Sounds messy but I'll do it if necessary. The cable feels really smooth as is though, much better than the old one (it's a Motion Pro, don't know if it has a nylon lining).

Was wondering what the opinions are on this - lube it up or just put it on as is?

Debby
    1979 GS1000N
    2019 Kaw Z900RS
    plus a few more

I never hurts to lube them, however, if you are in a rush for time you can jsut put it on. I would lube periodically as it will last much longer.

Comment

i put mine on (motion pro as well) without any lube, and it's been fine so far (3 months). but, i think it'll last longer, stay smoother if you do lube. so, your preference...

Comment

IMO lubing a new cable is good. Another thing I do after lubing is to dap some grease on the ends of the cable where it goes into the cable housing. Helps seal out contaminants.

Comment

I like using a cable lube like Yamaha's rather than engine oil. It's a lot easier and cleaner. You can use the special cable luber (it clamps on the end and you spray lube inside) but it's not necessary.

Comment

I put the bike back together today, including the new cable. I lubed it by hanging it up and dribbling 3-1 oil down the cable until it ran out the bottom (didn't take very long). I also put some grease in the worm gear actuator thingy. I think that's the first grease it's seen in its entire life!

Clutch works great now. Smooth and easy. Much better than before

Debby
            1979 GS1000N
            2019 Kaw Z900RS
            plus a few more

Comment

Working...
            X