Sticky brake lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky brake lever

Any suggestions on how to free up a sticky brake shaft the one by the peg? I have tried penetrating oils to no avail. What else can I do? This is on a 450E with the more backset pegs. Right now I am having to raise the pedal back with my boot.

If you don't want to pull the swing arm just keep using penetrating oil. When I pull my swingarm next I'll be putting a grease nipple on the brake lever shaft.

While forcing the lever up and down spray oil into the splines of the shaft and you'll see rust poor out. Undo the bolt on the lever and slide it out as far as you can on the shaft before tightening it again. Now you can push the shaft in and out of the frame to break loose even more rust. Every once in a while hose it out with WD40, it took me 30 minutes and half a can to get mine unseized a few weeks ago.

Steve

Comment

Yes

Excellent advice, Steve, in my humble opinion! These things can really get "gunked up" and it often takes a lot of "elbow grease" to clear up a problem that was created over a period of years. :?
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

My bike was doing it every whenever I parked it for 3 days... :twisted: You wouldn't believe how much rust I got to come out of there.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X