Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs550e California model question

Hello all!

This relates to another post of mine. The tank of my CA model gs550e has 4 connections on the underside of the tank. It has the 2 normal vacuum line & fuel line connections on the petcock. The third is the vent connection on the sending unit. The fourth is unique to CA models. It is toward the "front/center" of the tank just about opposite the gas cap. From it is connected a line that runs to a charcoal canister in the tail of the bike.

I don't remember seeing a line connected to the sending unit when I removed the tank a month ago. Does the line specific to the CA model replace that line? I ask because I have a pretty substantial fuel leak that originates at or near the sending unit and am wondering if the unit itself is faulty or not connected right or if it's leaking from the connection.

Not sure

I'm trying really hard to figure out just what you mean but I'll try to offer a few thoughts. Normally, there would be a "leak line" coming from the sending unit, which is intended to allow any gas that leaks from the sending unit gasket to "run off". The line that runs from the tank to the charcoal deal serves as a vent. There is a gasket around the sending unit and it shouldn't leak gas: if it does, you've gotta fix it.

I had an '88 Harley which I bought outside of California but the tank was still "stubbed" for the "charcoal, waste of money, get out of my life, do nothing, EPA tank"....your tank may have been vented there but it STILL shouldn't leak gas.

I think if you take the tank off and shake it around a bit...you'll quickly see where the problem is and be able to take care of it without much trouble at all. My guess is that the gasket around the sending unit is leaking.....
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

The tank is off my "85" GS 550 ES, right now. Chucky is right, the line that comes from the fuel sending unit is just a drain, in case the gasket at the sending unit leaks. If yours is missing, stick one on the little nipple and put gas in. If the fuel leaks from the drain tube, it must be the sending unit. I've not had my 550 long, but have seen no gas from the vent tube on the tank

Comment

I'm thinking the sending unit isn't sealed right, like a gasket has gone bad or something. I hope that's it, because I really don't want to replace my tank! Thanks!

Comment

Yes

I think you've got it figured out!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X