Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additives in oil???

Guys,

I just bought a 1980 GS1000E, and like every vehicle I own I changed out the oil and filter, the spark plugs and air filter. I put in 10w40 Pennzoil with a branded oil additive. I am a keen supporter of this stuff, as it is in my van, Mercedes and the monster (10,000rpm) 260hp Acura Integra race car I turn spanners on. I now have some clutch slippage in the upper reaches of the rev scale, which was not present before. The clutch operates normally below 6000rpm, nice and progressive, but slips for a second when upshifting at this level.
    Before I drain the oil and start again some advice would be nice as I am new to this wet clutch idea, though it looks like a no brainer (once the parts are obtained) to change out the clutch anyway...

CJ

Guys, OK addatives dont work with wet clutches, learned my lesson on that, otherwise, after 20yrs of using the stuff, I swear by it and will continue to put it in cars/vans/trucks. My Mercedes has over 500,000kms on it, and it is not due to regular oil changes or being driven at 80kmh. Think addative. Thing longevity of valves, piston rings, crankshafts and all that metalic stuff that has a skinny little skim of oil stoping itself from grinding itself to dust!!! My van too, has 200,000k on it, with very high compression (so much so that it knackers starter motors in about 6 months) and is running stock crank, that has never been looked at much less touched!

However, you will probably be pleased, and I can sleep well at night now, to know that the problem has gone away after flushing (damn, more mechanics magic potions) the oil, a new filter and a gallon of 10w30 Pennzoil, sin addative. Now @ 6000rpm the front wheel comes up in 1st and 2nd, with no slip in the clutch...

Dont fret, the correct (10w40) oil will be stuck into the crankcases after I put a few hundred K's on the odo...

CJ

PS. Thanks again for your words on this subject..

Re: Additives in oil???

Motorcycle wet clutches do not tolerate oil additives and absolutely not any with PTFE. The only thing they will accomplish for you is removing some of your extra cash and time when you have to replace the clutch linings.

Earl

Originally posted by crayonjota
    Guys,

I just bought a 1980 GS1000E, and like every vehicle I own I changed out the oil and filter, the spark plugs and air filter. I put in 10w40 Pennzoil with a branded oil additive. I am a keen supporter of this stuff, as it is in my van, Mercedes and the monster (10,000rpm) 260hp Acura Integra race car I turn spanners on. I now have some clutch slippage in the upper reaches of the rev scale, which was not present before. The clutch operates normally below 6000rpm, nice and progressive, but slips for a second when upshifting at this level.
    Before I drain the oil and start again some advice would be nice as I am new to this wet clutch idea, though it looks like a no brainer (once the parts are obtained) to change out the clutch anyway...

CJ
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If your 'additive' is PTFE based, besides what Earl said, It is not doing your engine any favours, either. the Penz is ok in your engine, but keep the additives where they really belong, on the shelf of the auto parts house, not in your bike. :twisted:

Comment

Agreed all the way down.

Simplest advice: Stay away from ALL additives.

None of them are good for your clutch, and most do very little, if anything, for your engine.

A good oil (including most synthetics) with no extra additives dumped in will be your engines friend.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Additives in oil???

[quote="earlfor"]Motorcycle wet clutches do not tolerate oil additives and absolutely not any with PTFE. The only thing they will accomplish for you is removing some of your extra cash and time when you have to replace the clutch linings.

Earl

So drain the oil and start again, or take the clutch basket out and clean and rough everything up some first???

Comment

Working...
          X