Idle problem 83 550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem 83 550L

I won't repeat my introduction from the Owners forum, but I would like to say hi! Now on to the question for you tech folks. This is my first bike (hence the intro title 1st Bike in MA) and I am having a bit of trouble with the idle. I went for my first ride today. I drove around for a little while to get a feel for the bike, and after really letting the engine heat up it is idling at ~2100rpm. I'm guessing this is too high. I tried playing with the throttle cable adjustment at the grip, no dice there. The carbs are clean, new plugs etc. I'm guessing all I need to do is adjust the idle screw, but sadly I'm not sure where it is, or how best to do it, or what to aim for. Please help out a newbie, and bear with me as I will have a lot of silly simple questions.

Thanks again,
    David

No problem

Hey, David, glad to have you aboard! Adjusting the throttle cable will only take up the slack...and increase the idle if you happen to tighten it further than that. 8O

I think you'll find your idle adjuster behind your carbs, right in the middle (facing downward) (between #1 and #2). You can start your bike and stick your hand back there and get it pretty close to where you want the RPM's to be (clockwise will increase RPM's)...after that, warm it up and take it for a spin. When you get back home, check it again and make any final adjustment but.....this time, be careful because the area around the carbs will be hot! :? (The carbs and adjuster won't be hot, however)
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

As soon as the rain stops I'll try that out and let you know...Thanks!

David

Comment

These were the 2 barrel carbs on the 83 to 86 GS550's, same as the EF and ES. The adjustment screw is between the two carbs, nearest the engine and points straight down. It has a bumpy perimeter about 5/8 inches in diameter. If you kneel beside the bike and look up at the bottom of the carbs, you will see it.

Kenny

Comment

Working...
        X