Air Filter Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Filter Cleanup

I'm in the process of putting things back to rights after a petcock failure and i want to give the air filter a once over (not sure when it was last done) so, the maual talks about a solvent cleaner, then soap & water....
    then either a specific oil for air filters or straight engine oil....with the preference being the specialized oil...

i should also say that the air filter is in good shape..

Questions
    - what type of solvent should i use/is it even neccessary
    - any recommendation on oil to use/is the specialized stuff worth it...
    - if i do need the special oil do i have to go to the dealer or can i get if from the farm & fleet type stores....

Thanks a bunch for any help

Phil

For FOAM type filters, All I do with mine is fill the sink, squirt some Dawn on it, clean it up, let it dry (helps to sling it around to get all the excess rinse water out) and pour some engine oil on it, squeeze it in my hands until it is soaked and the excess squeezed off, reinstall and ride.

Comment

Thanks for the info..Dawn works for me....

Comment

Throw the oil and the filter into a plastic bag, makes things go a bit better.

Steve

Comment

I am currently using PJ1 filter oil. I have had a couple of people recommend the PJ1 filter solvent for cleaning so I picked up a can. However, I haven't tried it out yet.

Comment

Working...
          X