Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of spring is needed within 1980 GS1100e petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of spring is needed within 1980 GS1100e petcock?

In the past, I lost the spring located within my 1980 GS1100E petcock....Does anyone know what kind I need to replace it?

Try using part of a spring from an ink pen

Comment

Rudi,

If you're talking about the spring that seats the diaphram it's a light action spring. Off the top of my head I would say it's about 1/4" in diameter and maybe 1/2" long. It has to be light enough that it doesn't fight the vacuum on the diaphram but still seat it with the engine off. If you take the diaphram and the piece of the petcock the vacuum line attaches to you should be able to find something that will work at a good hardware store. It should fit down inside the indentation in the vacuum piece and over the round metal portion in the center of the diaphram. Something light guage with just a couple of turns of coil to it. This could be a good project for you to report back on.

The spring under the lever is stiffer, smaller diameter, and longer. I doubt you are talking about that spring so I won't go into details on it.

Comment

Rona would be a good choice, they've got a better selection of springs than they do screws!

Steve

Comment

Pardon me while I hijack your thread for just a moment...

I have an '80 petcock on my '78 that's been giving me fits. When I disassembled it to discover part of the diaphragm was broken I didn't see a spring, nor was there a spring in the rebuild kit I bought yesterday. I though it seemed odd but hey, I haven't seen everything so maybe it's supposed to be like that. My petcock of course doesn't work at all. If there were no spring would that prevent fuel from flowing at all? I promise after this I'll stop asking dumb questions.

Comment

Bob,
            Yours may be different. If anything without the spring you would still have flow with the engine off and no vacuum. The spring is there to close the valve and shut off the fuel flow. Make sure you don't have fuel entering the vacuum line.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Rudi,

If you're talking about the spring that seats the diaphram it's a light action spring. Off the top of my head I would say it's about 1/4" in diameter and maybe 1/2" long. It has to be light enough that it doesn't fight the vacuum on the diaphram but still seat it with the engine off. If you take the diaphram and the piece of the petcock the vacuum line attaches to you should be able to find something that will work at a good hardware store. It should fit down inside the indentation in the vacuum piece and over the round metal portion in the center of the diaphram. Something light guage with just a couple of turns of coil to it. This could be a good project for you to report back on.

The spring under the lever is stiffer, smaller diameter, and longer. I doubt you are talking about that spring so I won't go into details on it.
              A "light action" spring? Is that what I would ask for from an store selling such springs?

It's unfortunate that there is no way to find out the EXACT specs on that spring. Maybe Mikuni Co. could help?

Comment

spring

I lost the spring out of mine and used a spring from an old set of motor brushes I had kicking around, just cut it to length and made sure it was a very minor pressure on the seat. As said, too much and the vacuum would have a hrd time opening it....Mike

Comment

Working...
                X